37g Coming Back Into the House for Angels - Assistance Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Now that I’ve convinced my husband that we have room to bring the 37 gallon tank back into the house and put some fishies in, I’m in need of help.

I’ve gotten 2 juvenile Angels that are sure to outgrow the community tank they are currently in (55g, load in sig). Their size is between a nickel and quarter right now. The plan is to prepare the 37 gallon for them. Is this big enough?

The tank has been sitting empty in my (unheated) garage for about 6 months. I figure I need to bring it into the house and allow a few days for acclimation. Right now it has gravel left over from the transfer to the 55g. At the very least, I’m guessing I need to thoroughly rinse it to eliminate any chance of mold or such (like that could be growing in the freezing temps we’ve had for over a week, hahaha).

I’m actually thinking whitish sand with my black slate and just a few plants for décor. Would that be appropriate for my Angels?

I plan to move the Fluval 304 currently on the 55g to the 37g and put a new Fluval 405 on the 55g. The current plan is to move the filter media from the 304 into the 405. After a week or so remove some of the media in the 405 to the 304 on the 37g (unpopulated) tank. Can I also hang a new nylon filled with some of the 55g gravel in the 37g to escalate the cycle?

Once the 37g is cycled and the Angels are moved should I put anything else in? My guess is nothing for algae control until there is evidence requiring it. I saw some really beautiful Ram’s Horn snails at the breeder where I got the Angels! I would dearly love avoiding introducing the common “pond” snails I have in my 55g. They were hitchers on my live plants.

Bottom line…I want a tank large enough for the 2 Angels, little decoration to distract the eye from the fish, but enough to hide the obligatory hoses.

Any input would be appreciated.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
a 37 gallon is plenty big for angels. they like a more planted tank though. there may be a little bacteria on teh gravel, but not much. most of the bacteria lives in the filter. putting some gravel from the 55 in there could help the cycle along, but only a little

along with them, you could have a school of 8 lemon or red eye tetras and a group of 6 corydoras.

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thanks jm, I had some Buenos Aires tetras that were very nippy. Would red eyes do the same?

SanguineApple

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Queens, NY
Chiming in to agree -- red eyes can be pretty nippy. If the school is large enough they'll only bug one another, but if you lose a couple then that may lead to problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store