cloudy eyes???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lionfish1991

AC Members
Aug 18, 2006
What causes fish to get cloudy eyes?? One of my bettas had it before but I added some salt and it went away, now one of my other ones has it.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah, ^ what he said. salt can cause more irritation to the fish, thereby causing the slime coat to get thicker (which then provides a thicker layer against the water), which is a temporary solution. water changes and proper filtration will generally get rid of the problem. if it continues beyond cleaning the water, something like melafix could clear it up. stop using the salt though, it's not great for the fish and causes more stress overall.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
cloudy eyes in fish can have many causes including velvet, Ich, fish tuberculosis, corneal edema, cataracts, nutritional deficiency, bacterial infections, fungus, or on rare occasions digenetic flukes such as Diplostomum. trauma and hereditary factors can also be causative. in the vast majority of cases however, water quality is the issue.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
right, agree with liv. Cloudy eye is not the main disease outbreak but a part of something bigger. Usually it has an underlying cause as liv explains. Water quality is very commonly the issue as is OTS with trying to perform newfound water maintenance of water changes once a week. When one has OTS, they need to instead go slowly when beginning to perform recommended maintenance. Your first change can't be 50% or there will be a result such as this (cloudy eye). If you got the fish from a source which is poor in Water changes also, thismay be the fish's reaction to more pleasureable maintenance. Long story short. If in a bad environment, it needs to be weaned to a clean one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store