nitrate question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brent6969

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
what could i put in my filter to reduce nitrates. Does that filter floss stuff reduce nitrates. Mine are at like 10 right now but they need to be lower. I do 20 % water changes every week.

rbell219

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
None of the products have ever really worked for me. Try 50% water changes weekly or bi-weekly until you get the results you want.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
My understanding is the only things that can reduce nitrates are; a DSB (Deep Sand Bed), an algae scrubber or weekly water changes.

cullyisgully

salt water ffeen
Jan 24, 2007
Queens, New York
i have the same problem with my nitrae 2 man. mine is at like 80 ppm my **** is mad high i need 2 do a water chang with Ro water but my LFS still does not have it yea.:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

brent6969

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
What filtration do you have on the system Brent? any bioballs? i presume you using RO water right? how much do you feed and how often?

Niko
i have 14 pounds live rock and about a 1 inch deep sand bed. Also i have an aquaclear 20 filter which i run carbon and those other little rock thingys i think that are for biological or chemical filtration.

Yash

Trance Addict
Nov 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Couple of things:

1. The filter floss you mentioned above ... well, it can actually turn into a nitrate factory if not kept clean. I have some in mine and I make it a point to clean it out every other day or so otherwise it gets brown and gunky, which leads to nitrates shooting up.

2. Bioballs ... same as above, if left to become gunky, they turn into nitrate factories as well. IMHO you'd be better off replacing the bioballs with LR rubble. LR works much better for mechanical filtration than the balls.

3. Do you have any room to add some macro algar like Chaetomorpha? If so, that will REALLY help in reducing your nitrates as they eat up the nitrates.

Cheers!
Yash

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
i have 14 pounds live rock and about a 1 inch deep sand bed. Also i have an aquaclear 20 filter which i run carbon and those other little rock thingys i think that are for biological or chemical filtration.
add a skimmer or replave your carbon often.
what size tank is this on?
i would also like to know if you are using RO and your bioload.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store