My New Blue Tang Few Questions Thanks.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kano5003

This Is My New 75 Gallon Saltwater.
Jan 12, 2007
Australia
Hi i have recently bought a blue tang (Today). Its really small a baby and it likes to hide is this ussual i have had him for 6 hours now. I have got him in a pretty small tank at the momment but moving to a 350 litre soon. The tank i got him in at the moment is 95 litres and i got 1 clown which gets along fine with him. the lighting is about 55 watt and i got 2 corals and will be getting my light back soon which is about 75 watt. I also got an anemone with 3 little hermit crabs and 2 cowrie snails. So these are my questions:

1. Is it normal for him to hide for the first 6 hours.
2. Is that good lighting for him.
3. how do you tell if there male or female.

Thanks kano5003..............

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
No disrepect meant here Kano but you "do need to listen" to the advice that people give. I am refering in one part the nem that you brought.....

You should NEVER buy a fish with the intention that its going to be " moved to a bigger tank soon "...Things happen and that bigger tank does not happen..

If i am being honest here, i would suggest you take it back and get store credit and buy another WHEN you get the bigger tank. Please take this advice, unlike the nem you brought when you were advised NOT to buy one and still did.

Your lighting is not sufficient for corals or nems in my opinion, you need to at least double the ammount for them to have a good life in your tank. I have only got 80w in my FOWLR tank and would not even concider mushy's with low power lighting..

Please dont take offence at what i have said, i am only saying it to help you and your tank inhabitants...

Niko

kano5003

Jan 12, 2007
Australia
No offence has been taken i will plan to get bigger lights already i have 80 watt and i have a bubble tip anemone and i also cant take my fish back well i can but i dont want to. I definintly am doing a bigger tank we have already started filling it with saltwater. thanks

kano5003

Jan 12, 2007
Australia
Here are some pictures of my baby blue tang. He or she is sooo cute my clown and blue tang swim with eachother feed together they even nearly go in the anemone together lol. so enjoy the pictures ill update more soon....

kano5003

Jan 12, 2007
Australia
Here they are.........

Picture 065.jpg Picture 064.jpg Picture 063.jpg Picture 062.jpg Picture 061.jpg Picture 060.jpg

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
the light is not important for the fish as long if it's not too bright too fast, and not only you are not going to be able to sex him or her for some time, it doesn't metter what it is anyway. does it?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
u are so disrespectful that is one of the worst fish you could get at this stage....i dont want to sound mean but u should really research ur fish if u just geting whats cool. ull waist money and poor animals will suffer or die. do u know how to take care of a tang? what special food it needs? how they gets sick whenever there is anything just a bit wrong and that the blues get paracites. and that they get to be 12 inches long?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
lol wow i got so upset on those posts i spelled every other word wrong. lol im sry i got so upset i just hate seeing animals mistreated. i have tangs in my 55 and they are babies but they have a 350 gallon tank waiting for them when they get larger. the tank was up before the tank they are in and its a for sure thing. i understand that ur going to move them but a tang isnt a fish that should be added to a tank in the beginning i wouldnt recommend adding them untill at least 6-7 months of a tank running after the cycle. also how do u pick ur fish? just by how they look? do u ever look any thing up? do you consult ur LFS?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store