.Mouth.-.Brooders.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandy-2007

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Australia, NSW
Hi, i absolutley love mouth-brooders,

i have a cichlid tank with only 3 species of these mouth brooder (electric yellows, crimson tides and johannis)

I was also wondering what other species of mouth-brooders there are.

All i really need is the name of the fish lol

Thanks all

:OT:

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Too many to list! Many cichlids are mouth brooders (African, some new world, etc.) asian arowanas, some bettas......I would do a google search for "mouth brooding fish" and see where that takes you.....

mandy-2007

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Australia, NSW

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
you could consider livebearers mouthbrooders, but once the babies go in they don't come out again...

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
Pseudochrenibralis nicholsi

Here's a wonderful little mouth brooding cichlid which is rarely seen in the hobby, perhaps because the genus falls outside the more well known groups of African cichlids of the Rift Lakes. This dwarf hails from West Africa - the upper reaches of the Zaire River in what was until about ten years ago the country of Zaire but which is now known as the Republic of Congo.

Males are spectacular in or out of breeding dress; the blues and reds of the body can rival some tetras for brilliance, while the head varies from mustard to bright yellow depending on mood. Off-setting the yellow head is a pair of bright blue lips while the unpaired fins are predominantly red. The pelvic fin is jet black. Sound impressive? You bet! Females on the other hand, contrast strongly with males, displaying a rather drab (sorry girls) pale yellow to dull brown or grey.

Despite their small size, this fish is very pugnacious, especially to members of the same species. If maintained as a group, ample cover needs to be provided for females and sub-dominant males. Defense of the area they've staked out in the aquarium can be extreme, making them a potentially difficult species for a community cichlid situation. That said however, if matched with appropriate tankmates they will represent themselves well and happily coexist with a wide variety of community species including non-cichlids such as small tetras and livebearers. I've found that Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi is best maintained in the aquarium as a 'trio' of one male with at least two females. This avoids intraspecific aggression and makes for a more peaceful coexistance. Do not keep this fish with other members of the Pseudocrenilabrus species or similar-looking fish. A particularly successful arrangement is keeping this fish with larger Malawian cichlids; they match well with aggressive Mbuna.

Feeding nicholsi is easy ... it will eat anything you give it, though its diet should comprise about 40 percent vegetable matter.

Water chemistry is not critical to this cichlid. It will happily live in hard or soft water at neutral or opposite ends of the pH spectrum as long as it's not extreme. The one proviso is nitrate level, which must be kept no higher than 10 ppm.

Want to breed this fish? nichols mouth brooder is VERY easy to get to spawn in the home aquarium. The trick is getting the eggs to hatch and the fry to adulthood. I've found that unless you remove the female to a separate tank, any commotion in the confines of the aquarium will prompt her to eat the eggs. Even then, she may eat them anyway and in my experience it's best to either have her spit the eggs (not easy since females are reticent to do so) or if you're lucky enough to have the eggs hatch, remove the fry immediately to a separate grow out tank or she'll chase them down and eat them as well. My experience suggests that this cichlid may be more successfully spawned in a heavily planted tank but since I don't keep plants in any of my tanks, I can only presume here. Mating typically occurs in a very shallow depression in the gravel which is excavated by the male. The female takes the eggs into her mouth and incubates them for about three weeks, depending on water temperature. She is a cave brooder so several such structures in the aquarium will help things to proceed normally.

If you're up for a challenge and can find this cichlid, I can recommend it to the committed cichlidophile.

mandy-2007

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Australia, NSW
Pseudochrenibralis nicholsi

Here's a wonderful little mouth brooding cichlid which is rarely seen in the hobby, perhaps because the genus falls outside the more well known groups of African cichlids of the Rift Lakes. This dwarf hails from West Africa - the upper reaches of the Zaire River in what was until about ten years ago the country of Zaire but which is now known as the Republic of Congo.

Males are spectacular in or out of breeding dress; the blues and reds of the body can rival some tetras for brilliance, while the head varies from mustard to bright yellow depending on mood. Off-setting the yellow head is a pair of bright blue lips while the unpaired fins are predominantly red. The pelvic fin is jet black. Sound impressive? You bet! Females on the other hand, contrast strongly with males, displaying a rather drab (sorry girls) pale yellow to dull brown or grey.

Despite their small size, this fish is very pugnacious, especially to members of the same species. If maintained as a group, ample cover needs to be provided for females and sub-dominant males. Defense of the area they've staked out in the aquarium can be extreme, making them a potentially difficult species for a community cichlid situation. That said however, if matched with appropriate tankmates they will represent themselves well and happily coexist with a wide variety of community species including non-cichlids such as small tetras and livebearers. I've found that Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi is best maintained in the aquarium as a 'trio' of one male with at least two females. This avoids intraspecific aggression and makes for a more peaceful coexistance. Do not keep this fish with other members of the Pseudocrenilabrus species or similar-looking fish. A particularly successful arrangement is keeping this fish with larger Malawian cichlids; they match well with aggressive Mbuna.

Feeding nicholsi is easy ... it will eat anything you give it, though its diet should comprise about 40 percent vegetable matter.

Water chemistry is not critical to this cichlid. It will happily live in hard or soft water at neutral or opposite ends of the pH spectrum as long as it's not extreme. The one proviso is nitrate level, which must be kept no higher than 10 ppm.

Want to breed this fish? nichols mouth brooder is VERY easy to get to spawn in the home aquarium. The trick is getting the eggs to hatch and the fry to adulthood. I've found that unless you remove the female to a separate tank, any commotion in the confines of the aquarium will prompt her to eat the eggs. Even then, she may eat them anyway and in my experience it's best to either have her spit the eggs (not easy since females are reticent to do so) or if you're lucky enough to have the eggs hatch, remove the fry immediately to a separate grow out tank or she'll chase them down and eat them as well. My experience suggests that this cichlid may be more successfully spawned in a heavily planted tank but since I don't keep plants in any of my tanks, I can only presume here. Mating typically occurs in a very shallow depression in the gravel which is excavated by the male. The female takes the eggs into her mouth and incubates them for about three weeks, depending on water temperature. She is a cave brooder so several such structures in the aquarium will help things to proceed normally.

If you're up for a challenge and can find this cichlid, I can recommend it to the committed cichlidophile.

Sounds really kool lol , ive never seen them before the pic looks very impressive only my male johanni chases the young ive never seen a female chase and hunt down her fry . . . . . eek lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store