How many algae eaters do i need?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
I bought 3 true SAEs and 6 Amano shrimp for my new planted 75g tank. They cannot keep up with the algae. I admit that the tank is new and I am still getting my nutrient balances right (although I gotta be close now). I had to remove almost all the plants this weekend for a bleach dip treatment to get the hair algae in check. I do not want to go through that again.

But I do not want to buy a bunch more algae eaters/shrimp and have to give away some algae eaters as they grow - I want just a maintenance crew for the show fish (angels). The snail population is really taking off and THEY seem to be doing something, but I suspect the rarely seen shrimp are just lounging around in hammocks or something. I know; they are nocturnal. I see the algae eaters 'crawl' over a rock and it looks as green as before.

The real issue is this: will I have to go through this bleach thing again or, with the crew I have and nutrient levels where I want them, is this algae problem going to stay in check? I removed red algae from lyshimachia leaves and fine green thread or hair algae from almost every plant. Please tell me the worst is behind me!

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
by the way

I only bought 3 because when they get to 4 or 5 inches they will be a large part of the fish load, especially if I had 6 or so. (Right now they are 1 1/2"). With a school of tetras, I would not have room for the angels!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't add anything else. Algae is a fickle thing, but usually dies off on it's own once the nutrient levels are appropriate for the plants you have. Once the plants get established, they will use up the nutrients, and you'll end up supplementing the diet of the algae eaters.

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
Thanks Oriongirl for the encouraging words. I think my plants ARE established which is why I am impatient about algae control. I cannot imagine getting to the point where I need to supplement the diet of these algae non-eaters, but it was the right comforting tone to strike.

I think I see a small thread of algae...... AAAHHHH!!!!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Maybe if I define established...To me, it means that the plant is actively growing. New leaves, branching, blooming ect. Until you see this, it means the plant is basically getting it's root bed going, and it is not using the nutrients at that same level as it will when it's in a growing stage.

For example, I added several anubias to my tank about 4 months ago. They looked good, all had nice leaves, and decent roots. I placed them in a well stocked tank, attaching them to a chunk of driftwood. For the first three months, they just sat there. No new leaves, no branching, though I could see the roots developing slowly. Then about a month ago, the roots really took off, covering the wood and sinking into the substrate as well. All of the plants have started kicking off new leaves like crazy, and one is budding up to flower.

If you aren't seeing lots of growth, your plants are still establishing themselves, and aren't using up as many nutrients. They'll get there, but it might take a while.

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
I have mostly stem plants and they have been growing. Some myriophyllum had root balls as big as my fist (after just 3 weeks!). I am not getting much pearling yet today - I think they are all readjusting from the bleach bath and replanting - hey, maybe I set things BACK by uprooting them?

Either way, I need them to beat this algae scurge. GGGGRRRRR.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Don't know if you'd want to go this route or not, but throwing in some duck weed would probably help. The problem: duckweed can be a scourge. It will suck up nutrients, quickly, but it can be overwhelming. While I waited for my plants to take off, I was removing this stuff by the bucket weekly. It keeps the algae down, but you may spend a lot of time getting rid of the duckweed until the plants catch up. The duckweed would go from 2-3 peices to covering half the tank in a week. Since my plants have taken off, I am down to just a few small bits in the tank, but for a while I felt like I was growing a floating carpet.

JP457

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
Technacly, you shouldnt "need" any algae eaters but in reality they are usefull. I have found that snails are the best. Try to find a type you dont mind seeing and having in your tank and just let them go wild. The more you ignore them the faster they multiply. Before you know it you have an algae eating army. Once the population is big enough, they can handle the algae by themselfs. I would just wait and ditch SAEs like oriongirl said, you will just end up needing to suplement their diet.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Tom,
Sounds like 6 amano shrimp is kinda small amount, I have roughly 14 for my 55 plant tank. I see less than a third of them at any time. The 3 SAEs is not a bad number, originally i had 5 in that tank before I moved and they did a great job eating the alage. I would probably double or triple up more on the shrimp. But i would wait and see what other Amano shrimp keeps say. But with them, my alage is always kept a minium.
jim

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Malaysian Trumpet Snails would be good. They apparently don't go after plants, but love algae and leave plant nutrition behind after digesting the algae. They also reproduce like rabbits and then some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store