Finish stocking a 125

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
What else could I put in my highly decorated for territory 125 gallon aquarium that houses a pair of firemouths 1 3 inch jack dempsey, 1 4 inch oscar and 2 medium sized common plecs?? I have a pair of convicts in my 29 gallon that are only shariing it with a pleco I was thinking of puttin in the 125, but im not sure. They aren't a breeding pair. other thoughts were of either a jag or a green terror. Any ideas???

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
You could try the convicts but I would not put a GT or Jag in there. Not unless you want your Firemouths to be feeders and your Oscar to be a potential maim victim.

Cichlids are cichlids, but they all do not belong in the same tank. I would steer clear of the aggressive CA and SA cichlids with the mix you have. The firemouths and the Oscar are the liability.

You could try a Blue Acara or a Severum. Depending on how aggressive your Dempsey is, maybe an Eartheater.

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Depends on the GT. Some are mild, some are aggressive. Oscars do not take well to physical abuse, because their scales are so soft (aka velvet cichlid..). If an Oscar gets picked on enough it will become stressed out, then sick (they are easily infected when missing many scales), then it may or may not spread to everyone in the tank. Does not matter how big it gets.

I've seen enough dead fish to err on the safe side, but that's just me.

Last edited:

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
sounds pretty stocked up to me. Personally I'd leave it be. ;)

it may not seem so crowded right now, but give it a few months and youll see why i suggest leaving it just the way it is.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
jag and gt are bad ideas, especially the jag. they usually are quite aggressive. get rid of one of the plecos if i were you. you dont need two.

id put somethin else in there, but my mine just went blank. you could put the convicts in there, and you need some ground feeders.

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Ok strike out the GT and jag, and good idea on the bottom feeders, im not gonna rid my pleco, because they are both unique, one of them has bright red tipped fins, I believe its a "leopard sailfin" as I was told, and the other has a HUGE dorsal fin and is light light bronze, its gorgeous, so I want to keep them both in there, they are on completely seperate sides of the tank and never bother one another, the light tan one stays under the slate where he found a cave to claim and the other hides under a big piece of bogwood, they are fine right now, the Jack dempsey has her flower pot and the oscar just kinda goes wherever when ever, the firemouths have not yet been introduced. so as aikido guy said, sounds pretty stocked up, but if bottom feeders are a possibility besides my pleco's, what would you suggest??

Last edited:

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
good dithers are silver dollars or giant danios

good ground feeders for cichlids are usually any sort of cat fish other than cory cats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store