Chinese algae eater same as Siamese AE?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
I'm looking for SAEs (like everyone else). I've seen flying foxes, and "Chinese algae eaters" everywhere. These "Chinese" AEs aren't the same as the desired SAEs are they?

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
Nope............unless they're incorrectly labeled as flying foxes..........then they are.

The true SAE will look like this:

Good hunting!

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
I think you have it backwards, weene. The CAE will algae when it's small. When it gets larger, it becomes territorial, stops eating algae and will try to make snacks of other fish.

The SAE is an algae eating machine. It's non-aggressive and never stops eating. Mine are constantly scouring the tank for any bit of algae.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
CAE's can be aggressive even when young; know this for a fact. Steer clear if you don't want your fish nipped/bit/fin-ripped. They have a spotted horizontal line rather than the solid black line of the SAE.

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Thanks, I just found true SAEs at the LFS for $1.99, but picked up amano shrimp this visit. Maybe I'll get the SAEs next week.

texyank

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
West Grove, PA
Visit site
You might want to snag up those SAEs a little sooner; they can be hard to get. I had to wait 2 1/2 months for mine. I had to pay a little more, too. They will eat algae all their lives and are not known to get aggressive. CAEs will stop eating algae as they mature and are usually aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store