red devil with blue eyes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kbcichlid

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
www.kbcichlid.bravepages.com
at the lfs there were some reddevils labeled as "colored red devil" there were all normal kinds(solid yellow) but there were to all white ones with splots on their mouth and one on each fin
1 had huge lips
and the one i got had norm lips but blue eyes
so i bought the one with blue eyes cause it looked rare and i wanted him to stop beatin everthinh in the tank
anyways could these be midas? do they sound like it?
and whats with the blue eyes?

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
ive never heard of this before. sounds like they are dyed. hmmm

its probably not a midas nor red devil. most likely a cross. almost all fish labeled midas or red devil are really crosses. i dont think that has anything to do with it.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ive seen pics of a RD or midas I cant tell the differance but they have huge lips not fat just big hard to explain but there called RD/midas. Also maybe you just got a weird special RD. Take and post a pic if you can.

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
kb - RD/Midas/labiatus etc are mostly pondbred in Florida and SE asia so they are pretty uniform and usually have some labiatus and citronellum in them. I have noticed a lot of them starting out with large lips that may eventually get smaller. They often go through a lot of colorchanges before they mature and settle in to one color and may keep changing even when they are 10+ inches.

Here are a few ex.

Those pictures are of fish from the same 5 fish group over the last 4 months and they have changed back and forth to the point where I want to rename them chamelionfish.

The blue eyes I don't have a clue about.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
inx, how do you keep all those red devils in the same tank? dont they try to kill each other.

my red devil has never changed colors. hmm thats wierd

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
dbcb314 - no they get along fine(as far as siblings will:D ) they do pick and nibble but don't actiually hurt or tear eachother up, no torn fins.

They were really torn up when I got them but I think overfiltered water, good diet and ample hidingspots brings out the best in all fish. Keeping the same fish that started out as juvies together helps too. I am however looking for a bigger tank for them as we speak.

Frank Red Devil

Registered Member
Oct 13, 2012
Hello,
I also have a red devil cichlid with blue eyes i got him when he was a baby and he was pretty much half orange and now he is just completely pale white, he is about a year old and his eyes if anything have gotten a deeper shade of blue, is this normal for Red Devils or is he a crossbreed? I've had him since he was the size of a nickel and i kind of doubt his blue eyes are dyed because they change lighter and darker depending on what sort of mood he is in. If you could help me out finding out what kind of fish he is if he is not a red devil that would be extremely helpful,
Keenan McCall

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I saw some red devils at petsmart reddish gold with black fins, and black eyes. Kinda looks like hybrids to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store