algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
hey guys,

my 2 foot tank has barely been a week and the walls are already starting to grow algae. its not green yet but it is quite noticable when you change the water that there is a layer of scum on the sides of the wall..

im thinking of getting a sucker fish for the tank. its a 12.5 gall tank with 6 barbs at the moment. i dont know if the barbs will harrass the sucker fish and i dont know if its going to be over crowded.

thanks for the help!

FISHLORD_8

AC Members
Nov 22, 2004
what kind of barbs? if theyre not agressive , try an oto or two ( oto= octinulus)
thats probably what ill do for my tank. An even better idea is to buy a magnetic algae cleaner , it really gets the job done.
:dive:

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
There is always going to be some kind of muck on the glass that will require that you clean it yourself even with a suckerfish. That is just the way it is when you have a fish tank. Some general maintenance is still required.

Marinemom

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
oh.. i have 6 tiger barbs.

is magnetic cleaning enough? or should i do both, get an oto and a cleaner..

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
If you want the tank glass clean I say go for the Magnetic Cleaner they are really great.
You will have to figure out something else for the Ottos to eat if
A. They don't like the algae in your tank
B. They like the algae so much they eat it all and then have nothing left to eat.
If you have the room for them and your tank is well established (Otto's need a good cycled tank) and they get along with Tiger Barbs? (sorry dont' know about TB's) then I would get a couple other wise you may be paying for fish that won't make it..

hacknet

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
hmm.. the way it looks, i will just get myself some magnetic cleaners. i dont want to waste another fishes life trying to clean my tank.

thanks guys!

sharpie

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
what kind of barbs? if theyre not agressive , try an oto or two ( oto= octinulus)
thats probably what ill do for my tank. An even better idea is to buy a magnetic algae cleaner , it really gets the job done.
:dive:
or just save your money and clean it of with a sponge (a new one that has never been used with cleaning products)

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
6 tiger barbs need about 30 gallons of space to roam. I would keep no more than 3 in a 12g.

is your tank cycled? can you give us your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? how often do you change the water? how long do you leave the lights on?

by "sucker fish" you are either referring to a common plecostomous or a chinese algae eater.

commonplecos eat algae when young but can grow very large (18-26") and will need much larger fare as it matures. it may also become quite aggressive as well.

chinese algae eaters are basically the same, except they have a much higher tendancy to be aggressive and are smaller, usually no more than 10- 12". they may also prey opon small fish.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
a magnetic algea scraper or an algea scraping pad with or without a handle is probably the best solution for your tank. your tank is to small for any more fish, and to be honest, the fish you have now. tiger barbs need a bigger school to evenly distribute aggression within the school, preferably more than 12.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store