Firebelly set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
My son wants a firebelly toad. I am trying to set up an old 10 gallon for it, but I get conflicting info. Does the land area have to have dirt and moss substrate or can it be gravel? Which is easier?

I saw one thread where they put substrate but used screen and bioballs to keep it in place. I think I may try something like that, but I already had bunch of gravel I was planning to use and I was worried with dirt and moss if it would be harder to clean when doing water changes ect?

Im not new to fish tanks, or reptiles just frogs, any advice is helpful?
Also do they ahve light requirements? The pet stores here dont ahve any special lighting for them, whereas in my turtle and gecko homes I have to have UVB lights. Help?

And are 2 happier than 1?

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
I believe gravel is good in the water is, but not as the land mass..FBT lunge at there prey and can swallow gravel by accident...I used a brick of coco fiber..let it soak for 20 minutes and break it apart...the land mass has to be seprate and higher unless you use a divider..buy a piece of glass or acrylic and silicone. the bio balls and screen is so that the coco fiber can drain if you don't use the divider idea..or you will have a big puddle of dirt..the screen helps from pieces of any substrate you choose from falling in between the rocks and getting the water side dirty...I hope this makes sense..haha..FBT do like to be in groups for a 10 gallon I have read that 2-3 frogs is good..anymore and you will need a bigger tank..as for the filter i got mines at Petsmart, but I ampretty sure Wal-Mart and petco sell them..it is a Whisper 10i..$11.99 at the most :D
as for light i used a regular flourecent aquarium tube..it came with the hood..I then decided to switch to a screen top for more circulation..the front glass was getting foggy all the time

hope this helped

Last edited:

Siren

Mythological Creature
I would definatley avoid "fishtank" gravel for the same reason listed above, but you should be able to use pebbles and rocks that are BIGGER than your FBT's mouth to create a land mass....coco fiber is cool, just watch that it doesn't plug your filter.

You can get large flat stones at the craft store in the same section that they sell flower vases....they are usually sold in netting of some sort in 1 lb bags :)

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
Thanks so much. I use the submersible whisper filters for my turtles and upgrading theres soon, so Ill have extras.

I do plan on siliconing a piece of acrylic to separate the land and water.

I read on another thread someone had green tree frogs in with them, do they do well (If I used a 20 gallon instead and had a large branch on the land side? ) Do they eat smal crickets and mealworms as well?

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
Yes I feed them 3-4 crickets each..i even target fed a few just to make sure that each got at least 3 crickets...they can be greedy and one will eat more than the other if you let it..I got some mealworms but haven't tried those yet..:) I don't think the tree frogs will do well with them because FBT are toxic..I think you can do firebelly newts though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store