First Aquarium - Sensen 30 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
This is going to be a real newbie question. I just got my first aquarium. My wife bought it as a present. It is marked as Sensenaquarium and I believe it is a 30 gallon bow front glass aquarium. It looks similar to the Jebo R3 Series Curved Glass Aquariums and specifically the R362 model.

1) Has anyone heard of Sensen or Sunsun? It appears to be a Chinese brand. Anything good or bad to know about it?

2) The store sold her the aquarium with a filter but no heating element. This is a freshwater aquarium and the shop owner said some freshwater fish need a heating element and others don't. Should I add a heating element? How many fish should I put in there?

Thanks and this will probably be my first post of many.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
any idea of what Sensen or Sunsun was sold to you as? i never heard of it but that doesnt mean much.

if you want tropical fish then you need to get a heater. i really like the Visi-Therm heaters.

how many fish depends on what fish you get. i would go to the fish store and look at the different fish write them down and come home and research.

dont forget to read this.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Every few years Jebao / Jebo / Odyssea starts marketing their products under a new name from what I can tell. The aquarium itself should be sound, but quality control of their electronics (lights / filters / etc) seems to be a hit or miss kind of thing. When they market stuff saying that their item is just like an eheim it sort of sets off a few alarms for me. If the stuff works for you it should be fine. If it doesn't there doesn't seem to be any support for their products.

As for a heater a 100 watt visi-therm stealth heater would be a good one. As for fish stock it depends upon the types of fish you are looking for.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Heater is a good investment, even for non tropical fish because they need a stable water temperature. Most likely you will want to start with tropical fish anyway. They are easier to come by there are more types to choose from.
My first tank was 30 Gal. and I thought it was a good idea to start with "feeder" goldfish. I figured I could save money/power on the heater and could probably manage to keep them at least better than they were kept at the store. .... Well, i learned a lot, incluing that the 30 isn't big enough for common goldfish, which is what feeders are. SO, if you happen to start thinking about them, I thought I'd head you off.
Fancy goldfish are another non tropical fish that you can keep in a 30G I think but they would need a heater too. If you like fancy goldfish, (any of the sort of fatshaped ones are "fancies") you can find a lot of info about them at the coldwater forum. White cloud mountain minnows are another fish that you might see in the fishstore that IME prefer non tropical temps.
again, they benefit from a heater for stability.
What I am getting at is this. Not all fish are tropical fish,( 76F-80F temp)
which is what I suppose the fishstore guy was talking about.. But IMO any aquarium should have a heater.
Another important early lesson, as a rule, Don't rely on info from fishstore salespeople. I know that there are knowledgable and responsible and ethical fishdealers around.There are even occassionally such people working in your local chain petstore. BUT there is So much BADin formation handed out at stores that I would say, Always double check it.

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
Can you identify what I was given by the pix?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

What is even more amazing is that I have no idea what he sold us (it was a present and there is no invoice, no list of parts). I have attached some pix along with the 10 fish he gave us. If anyone can identify what plant he put in there and what fish I have and what type of filter I have - it would really help to get me started (I am now a 5 day old :))

Two of the fish have "bug-eye" and I had read that is a disease, but the person who gave me the present said that the fish store said this is a strain of fish.

aquarium.jpg filter.jpg filter-2.jpg fish-1.jpg fish-2.jpg

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
You have a bunch of goldfish in there.
The pop eye looking thing is indeed appropriate to those fish.These characteristics, as well as coloring, body shape, finnage, and coloring have been created by selective breeding for many many many years. Post the fish pics in the coldwater forum to get more info.try to get seperate pics of each different looking one because they each have different names. The fat bodied ones are fancy goldfish, including the black one. I think I know the names of each of them, but someone else will be positive. The flat bodied ones are called common GF. ( I don't think I saw a comet)
This is why they didnt sell you a heater, these are not tropicl fish.
Trouble is, you have WAY too many to live in there for any period of time.
They will also be stressed by fluctuations in temp. I'd say learn about each type. ("breed"? "variety"?) and return all but one or two of the fancy GF If you want to keep any.
Do I understand correctly that this tank was sold to your wife complete with fish?
You will want to hae a thermostat and a test kit ( Not the strip type, the liquid type) .

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Can't help you with the filter id.
The plants look artificial to me.
The silvery fish that you have pictured alone is a common GF IMO. basically a carp. it will grow huge, needs a bigger home, eventually a pond. I calico looking one might be a shubunkin, I can't quite tell.

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
Trouble is, you have WAY too many to live in there for any period of time.
They will also be stressed by fluctuations in temp. I'd say learn about each type. ("breed"? "variety"?) and return all but one or two of the fancy GF If you want to keep any.
Do I understand correctly that this tank was sold to your wife complete with fish?
You will want to hae a thermostat and a test kit ( Not the strip type, the liquid type) .
I heard from someone the rule of 1" of fish per gallon. This being a 30G tank, 30" of fish should fit. Or is that a bogus rule of thumb?

Yes, the tank and fish and plastic plants, lights, substrate, filter, was all sold to my wife as a suprise present for me.

Why would I want a liquid test rather than a strip test? I was planning on buying this week strip test kits for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ph (3-10) so as to check the water every few days.

Care to explain what test kit I should pick up?

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
goldfish are cold water so you dont need a heater for them (in fact it makes them eat more and poop more [metabolism]) you can have gold mishes in there you just have to do more frequent water changes and move them out when they get bigger.. and they do get big. the tank is some asian brand that mimics the eclipse system.. i dont like the eclipse let alone an asian brand because of the strength and efficiency of the filter. if you want to lessen your water changes hook a fluval or a rena to it and beef up the filtration. as far as test kits go.. i use test strips because they are convienient but other look down upon it because it is inaccurate. but the way i see it if your keeping your water clean the occtionall "inacurate" test should come out ok... but if you have somthing wrong then the test will warn you and thats when you can go to the store (if they test with liquid test) and ask them to test it for you. i personally prefer the 5 in one by jungle labs but others like liquid test.. SAlifert is the best and most accurate test but it does come with a price. so its up to you

Those are just fake amazon swords and a ludwigia and the decor is typical of "asians" :p (im asian myself) you filter its driven by a pump that sucks water up in the tank and pushes it through the tubing and empties it out by a spray bar onto the floss or filter medium, that will get dirty over time and need to be changed. you pump that is sucking does not seem to have a cage or guard. you might want to look into having somthing similar to prevent your fishes from getting sucked up.

The fish rule is somewhat true but its full grown size of the fish. and also how much waste they put out. i would recommend giving a couple of the goldfishes back... they will get a bit big and they are poop factories.. so keep 2-3 for yourself so you can learn.

Last edited:

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Goldfish get HUGE! They may seem small now...but can grow as big as a grapefruit

Also, the liquid test kit are more accurate, and they last longer then the test strips...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store