New tank, Stocking suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Magnacarta

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2003
Visit site
I`m a total newbie who has just taken possesion of a 40 imperial gallon aquarium, It is currently cycling with 6 zebra danios.

I`m open to suggestions as to what to stock the tank with, I`m looking for a variety of top, middle, and bottom dwellers, I do like schooling fish and I`m not keen on large fish so a restriction of adult size of around 3 inches.

Any suggestions gratefully received :D

Firsttanks

Multiple Species Fish Custodian
Feb 27, 2003
Beiseker Ab. Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the hobby (Obsession?).:D

My recomendations:

Top Dwellers: Gold Wonder Killifish

Mid Level: Your Zebra Danios + maybe a school of Headlight Tetras (I think thats what they are called)

Bottom Level: Corycats (at least 4 will keep them happiest)

...or you could look at guppies/Mollies/Swordtails/Platties...they are all over the tank, come in multiple colors, and breed faster than rabbits.

Pam Lowrey

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Springfield, IL
Visit site
Originally posted by Firsttanks
... Headlight Tetras (I think thats what they are called)
There are a few "light" tetras, the Glowlight Tetra (Hemigrammus erythrozonus), the Head & Tail Light Tetra (Hemigrammus Ocellifer) & the Tail Light Tetra (Bryconops melanurus), but I couldn't find a Headlight tetra. Am I forgetting any others?

:)

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
tetras like softer water, 7.2 and lower if I am not mistaken.
For harder water fish, look at any of the livebearers like plattys, guppys and swordtails. Even Angels to a degree. Cory's are great additions and seem to tolerate the hard water pretty well so far in my largest tank.

I am a huge fan of tiger barbs, green tiger barbs and black ruby barbs so I am always going to recommend the fin-nippers to everyone who will listen. Just be wary who you put in with them, I have clown loaches and a rainbow shark.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i think they are head and tail light tetras. i have my first community tank that i started about a month ago, i have 2 mollies, 4 platies, 1 puffer, 3 neons, 6 zebra danios, a beta, 2 phantom tetras, and a small cory cat. they are all fun and easy to take care of. i really like the zebras, they zoom around all over the place. i like my beta too, he was shy at first, but now i see him plaing in the bubbles and stuff :)

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Welcome to Aquaria Central and the hobby, MagaCarta. We're glad you're here.

I have to tell you, that I love your member name. There must be a story behind it...

Oh, and good luck with the fish...

Val

Magnacarta

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by val
I have to tell you, that I love your member name. There must be a story behind it...
Not a very exciting story Val :D

One of my hobbies is studying English medieval history, The Magnacarta was an agreement on the rights and responsibilities of the King and the Barons of medieval England and was signed by them in June 1215.

You could call it the worlds first bill of rights.

Also, many thanks, I`m very glad to be hear. :D

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I would agree with your general assessment of the Magna Carta. I lived in England for three years back in the 70s and I've been to the British Museum and seen the original, and even as a young boy, I dragged my folks to Runneymead (sp?) just to be on the same field. For years I had a copy of the Magna Carta on the back of my door, first at home and then in four dorm rooms at school. It was always the first thing I hung up and the last thing I took down. I lost that poster about 15 years ago, and I don't lose much, so that has pained me particularly. I had a chance to get a new facsimile, but that wouldn't have been the same...

Val

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store