Substrate for a 90 Gallon Lightly Planted Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
I should be getting a 90 Gallon tank in a week or two. I am using a wet/dry filter setup so the plantings wil be limited to low CO2 and probably low lighting plants. Java Fern, Christmas Moss, Cryptos are probably the early favorites to add.

So what should I use for substrate? I have always used plain small aquarium gravel with my other tanks (20G and 10G).

My initial thoughts are 1" of Eco-Complete and two inches of the medium size aquarium gravel that looks like river pebbles.

Thoughts? I know the Christmas Moss and Java Fern don't get buried so they don't care.

Will have a large rock or two and some driftwood.

Fish are still up in the air.

Probably will do a Christmas Moss wall across the back.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
There's no reason to think you can't use a little more light in a tank just because you won't be running CO2. That whole thing about CO2 and algae is overblown in my experience. And I have also never noticed any significant impairment in plant growth in tanks with biowheel filters vs. canister.

It's more about lighting, ferts, water conditions, etc. CO2 is a big big help for sure, but you can grow seriously lush and beautiful little jungles without it. I surely have.

Now as far as substrate for a 90 gal, I wouldn't waste my money on eco complee. You will do mighty fine with a cheaper bulk substrate and root tabs.

zippodcr

Certified Bonehead
Feb 10, 2007
Mansfield, OH
If I may jump in here, i want to make sure i understand your suggestions. I'm planning to set up a fairly heavy planted tank too and i'm not sure on substrate, but what i'm hearing you say is to just use sand or small gravel, forget the stuff like Flourite or anything? That's great for saving $$ for sure! But is it going to support healthy plant growth in a 90? I've also heard about putting a heater "cord" in the substrate to help move water through it - thoughts on that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store