???How to start a saltwater tank???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So, I am quite new to aquariums, seeing I have a 20g planted freshwater tank which I've had for about 4 or 5 months now. My parents said it would look nice to maybe have a saltwater tank downstairs. Could someone please explain what I would need for that tank, and how expensive it would be, about. I am thinking maybe around a 50 gallon tank, and I'll start simple, like fish only, and maybe some live rock. No coral for now. Like what kind of filters and whatnot would I need?

Thanks!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So where are the "starter" posts?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Look in the article section and at the stickys in the marine sections.

Here's a run through of what I would suggest you use for your setup, prices are only approximate, the costs will depend on where you live and where you buy your stuff:

55g tank: $40-150
4ft shop light: $30
10k and actinic bulbs: $40-60
Coralife super skimmer, 125g model: $200-300
4x Maxi-jet 1200 power heads: $80-120
Heater: $30-50
Substrate (sand or nothing at all): $0-60
Live rock, 20-30 ilbs: $100-450
Base rock, 20-30 ilbs: $ 40-80
deionization unit: $40-100
Total: $600-1,1350

On top of that you will need your salt, stand, a way to suspend the light above your tank (could be hung from the ceiling, mounted in a canopy or rested on blocks of wood) and you also need a quarantine tank (10g with power filter and PVC piping for decorations). If you get a disease in the main tank, there is almost no way to effectively treat it without making your tank a death trap for any kind of invert life (corals, crabs, snails, shrimp, etc.), so you do need a quarantine tank.

Down the line, if you want to start keeping corals, either add a second shop light, or switch the existing fixture to very high output (which means getting new bulbs and a new ballast).

New Reefer

AC Members
Could someone please explain what I would need for that tank, and how expensive it would be, about. I am thinking maybe around a 50 gallon tank, and I'll start simple, like fish only, and maybe some live rock. No coral for now. Like what kind of filters and whatnot would I need?
Here's an article I've written some years back - hope it helps.

http://reefmaniacs.com/hl/Starting%20with%20Marines.htm

Hennie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store