"Tube" plants from Petco...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
Does anyone know, offhand, the brand name for these things? I am trying to id a plant I was given a while back. I susoect that it is not an aquatic plant, but plantgeek.net didn't have a picture of one. The "tube" I am asking about is clear and has "aquagel" at the bottom to keep the plant wet. The plant I am trying to id looks a bit like a pineapple plant, but is darker green with stripes of varying degrees. Thanks for reading! ~brandy

livingword26

AC Members
Dec 5, 2006
Kansas, USA
www.aquariacentral.com
I'm no expert, but i have been researching plants for about a month because I am setting up a planted tank next week. I went into Petco today, and they did not have 1 plant that I recognized. I don't think any of them were aquatic.

Kamryn

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Aqua Plants is the brand name, but beware. I purchased plants from petco on several occasions and twice returned plants because they turned out (after research) they were poisonous to fish. They were ment as terrarium plants only.

Pagan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Cleve, Oh.
I work at Petco, and the only aquatic plants I've seen in those tubes are Amazon and Brazilian swords. Almost all of the rest are terrarium, or semi-aquatic plants.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
Thanks for all the replies. I was guessing that the piq was not aquatic, but still can't find a decent pic of it. Anyway, I'll be going to the lfs tomorrow to find some plants that might actually thrive in my tank. I'll let you know what I end up with! :)

GenoET

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
I work at Petco, and the only aquatic plants I've seen in those tubes are Amazon and Brazilian swords. Almost all of the rest are terrarium, or semi-aquatic plants.
Thanks for the insight......... I just bought two from Petco this week. On the "Aqua Plants" label I saw printed "Live Aquarium Plant" in bright yellow on the side of the label so I assumed it was for the home aquarium. Will these create a problme in my freshwater tank? Should I remove them?
One is Kyoto (Ophiopogon japonica)
The other is Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)..........

Thaks......

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
"kyoto" is mondo grass and will die and pollute your tank if submerged indefinately. Wisteria is an aquatic plant.

To the OP, it sounds like you have a form of white ribbon or dracaena sanderia, which is a form of lucky bamboo. It will not last long submerged and will pollute your water.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store