Predatory bumblebee cats? Mine is a glutton

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ErrorS

AC Members
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
I have a dragon goby at over a foot, a 6'' striped raphael and a tiretrack eel in this tank. All are more than capable of eating the small ghost shrimp I throw in every once in a while. I suspected some but didnt' think the few fish would eat 3 dozen throughout the night.. but they always end up missing. It could be my Needlefish but I keep them well fed, Rosy Reds are easier to catch and probably taste better.

Anyways, I threw in some Rosy Reds today and one of my already fat 1'' BumbleBee Cats came out to see them. I thought it was just being social.. I threw in some fish, it thought feeding time was coming up and wanted to see what I threw in for it.

Next thing I know, this TINY fish, already lookingl ike it's going to explode, grabbed ahold of a rosy red that was nearly 70% the size of the cat.. he was able to eat the entire thing and he's still looking for food.

I'm use to it with my Needlefish, that's just how they are.. they can dislocate their jaws for big prey, they're slender fish, quick, good at hunting, etc.. but a 2 month old bumblebee cat? I've never known catfish to be an aggressive hunter, especially when they're well fed.. I'm sure my Rapheal has had his fair share of live fish but these fish are scavangers, mine has always prefered a pile of shrimp pellets to something living.

Anyways, I just got a kick out of it. He looked like he was going to explode before he ate it, now he's just a little round ball.. unbelievable that this tiny, harmless looking fish was able ot catch one of these Rosy Reds before one of my skilled hunters (needlefish) were able to.

I'll never underestimate one of these things and I sure as heck would never trust small Neon Tetras (or other similer sized fish) in a tank with any of these, regardless of how small the cats were.

Honest to God, here's a crude drawing to show size comparison:

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
Even when small, pimelodids are hunters. I have one bumblebee (about three inches) that lives in my 125g along with black neons and glowlights. The arrangement has been OK for over a year now — he sticks to grass shrimp and pellets. I had another bumblebee the same size, but he went back to the store because of his persistent predatory ways. He ate not only tetras but also 2 blue rams and an adult Corydoras melini (!).

ErrorS

AC Members
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
These and similer cats have to be my favorite freshwater fish, it's a shame this one is so mean.

I just thought about it, he's smaller than my Corys now but one day he'll be big enogh to eat them. My Needlefish leave my cories alone because they're too much work, after I saw this thing take on that Rosy Red I fear for my Cory's lives..

Just Corys? ugh, I doubt few fish are safe from this monster. When he reaches full size I'm going to have to seperate him from my Needlefish.

They are funny fish though.. very attractive, 'cute' and apparently can be extremely energetic. Honest to God, I think I found a new favorite fish (next to my old-timer Striped Raphael and Dragon Goby). Are they hard to breed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store