(male) honey gourami + female betta--?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alicialav

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
will it work? should be the only potential stocking issue, just wondering if there's any hope of a peaceful coexistence between these two.. I'd very much like to add a white female betta to my community set-up.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Because they are both Labyrinth fish I would be worried about aggression. It is generally recommended to not combine gouramis and male bettas but I am not sure if the same applies to females. I guess you could try it and if there is aggression remove one of them. Some female bettas can be just as, if not more, aggressive then male bettas. But that all depends on the personality.

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
Females can be just as aggressive as males, if not more so. My suggestion would be not to, but each fish is different.

Evan214

iSi se puede!
Nov 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I have had females which are very aggressive, but I have also had those that are very peaceful and graceful creatures.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
You didnt state what size tank you would be putting them in. The reason I would hesitate if it were a small tank is because they are both top dwelling fish and they need there own space. If its a 29 or larger, go ahead. IME, female bettas for the most part arent aggressive towards other fish if they are given there space.

Blue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store