Parrots laid eggs, now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dakotagirl

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
North Dakota
My 2 parrot cichlids laid eggs tonight and I have no idea what to do. I know most of the male parrots are sterile and I don't even know if I have a male and female. They are both guarding the eggs and won't let anyone else near them, does this mean they are a pair? What color should the eggs be if they would be fertilized?

If they were to be fertilized, how long before they would hatch? Should I remove the eggs within a few days if they stay white or get fungusy? Any ideas?

I don't really care if they hatch or not, it makes me feel good to know that my fish must be happy and healthy if they are trying to breed.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Barb

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
the eggs wont hatch since they won't even fertilize in the first place, being hybrids. i would leave the eggs inside if the parrots are guarding it, i wouldn't want to upset them. if the eggs get fungus'ed, the parrots will hopefully eat it. if not, its about time to remove them anyways.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
My parrots spawned once, both fishies guarded them VERY good.

Eggs never were viable, were eaten after a couple days...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
There are some occurences of blood parrots spawning sucessfully. However, even if the parents are able to produce young, this does not mean that the offspring will be viable as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store