help badly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ckaven

AC Members
Apr 27, 2006
i have 2 jacks and a severm. my problem is that any new additions i make die within a day. and i dont know why. all readings seem normal. ph is a 6 and i make water changes 2x a week. i dont want to keep buying fish if they gonna die in a matter of hours. i must of already bought like $100 of fish and have them all died. even my severm was not doing good but he came back and now is healthy also my jacks are active and healthy also. ive tried a red devil, bunch of rainbows, large tetras, and barbs. i need help please. i want to add to my tank. i have a ugf with 2power heads, eclipse setup with biowheel, fluval, and a fluval canister with a uv sterilizer hooked up to it. i also have a bubble wand in the back to increase oxygen. any ideas???

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
What size tank? How long has it been set up? Do you acclimate the fish? Are they being harassed/stressed or do they just die out of nowhere? Dying within a day seems pretty bad. Don't the stores tank them back if they die that soon? Do they look good/healthy at the store?

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
yes, you need to aclimate them because normally the Ph in the store is nutrual, 7.0 there could be other factors but more details are needed

ckaven

AC Members
Apr 27, 2006
i acclimate them slowly. but wats the best way to acclimate them. or should i add that powder that puts ur ph at 7.0?

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
No, don't mess with the Ph. Could you answer the other questions I asked, so we can help you figure out your problem.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
what is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

how long has your tank been set up with fish in it?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
having 0 nitrates is not normal. nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle, and if you don't have any in the tank then you're tank is probably not cycled properly.

bobandfiona

AC Members
Dec 13, 2005
Dallas, TX
With the limited info, definitely sounds like new tank or old tank syndrome. Unless you notice the fish getting rowdy with eachother, the two most probable causes are

1) New Tank syndrome - you havent had your tank up and running enough to get the proper levels. Nitrates at 0 hint towards that. Keep a good 6 week cycle of normal levels before adding any new fish please! for their sake! Keep up the water changes but be sure to do them either through your filter or with dechlorinators like Prime. Acclimate very slowly and usually without light for a couple of days to lower the stress. (It would be even better if you could set up a quarantine tank with the same substrate and old filter and keep it running the same temp and specs as your main tank. This way you can protect your community if you get a fish with unseen disease).

2) Old Tank Syndrome - common in old tanks like mine where the community is set. Frequent cleaning before and after adding fish can help.

Provide some more info and we will definitely help you get to the bottom of the problem and save some good fishy lives!:dive2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store