Plywood tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
Have any of you built your own plywood tank? Im thinking about building one for the living room. Something like 36-40"x20-24"x12". If I built the biggest option I want, 40"x24"x12", it would be 49.88 gallons, which is just about what I want. A 40"x24" foot print would be good for my synodontis nigrita to have. Hmmm, maybe 15 inches high instead of 12.......

Last edited:

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
unless you have some specific decorating issue you are trying to incorporate it into, like a bar or coffee table or something, i would think a used glass tank would be cheaper than building one. the cost of the fish safe epoxy paint [$40+ per gallon ] and the glass [?]. but if you are doing it as a fun project, dont let the financial aspect get in the way of a good time. besides building a relatively small one will be good experience when you want to build the 200 gallon model.

[my opinion]
plywood tanks start saving money when your over the 150 gallon point.

i researched the heck out of plywood and ended up buying a used glass tank instead.

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
I want to build one mainly because I can make it the exact size I want. Any tank here is extremely expensive (example: new 100g bare tank, no stand, no hood, no anything, over $700 with tax). I figure I can get good enough ply wood for about $30 a sheet, but I dont know what the glass would cost. Its mainly new tanks that are really expensive, but people even want alot for used ones. The other day in a local buy and sell paper someone had a 20g and they wanted $150 for it.

Jan 24, 2002
Louisville, KY
I say go for it. I'm not one to get in your way. I hope things work out well. Like you said, you cant buy a tank with that footprint. If you build one, could you let me know how you made it?
-Chuck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store