When do blue peacocks change color?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

huey

Blue peacock cichlids
Feb 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi, I just signed on today & would like to find out when the blue peacocks change color. I have a 70 gal tank with lots of them, but they are all grey so far. They can't be all females, can they? Most are over 3 inches. Thanks for any advice...

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
"blue Peacock" covers a lot of ground. i can think of at least three Malawi "peacock" cichlids which are 'blue' ... Aulonocara stuartgranti, Aulonocara hansbaenschi and Aulonocara hueseri. that said, by three inches, males should be showing color. yours may indeed be all females, or not peacocks at all.

a picture would be worth a thousand words ;)

huey

Blue peacock cichlids
Feb 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've had the trio of blue peacocks for 3 years. I bought them privately as Aulonocara stuartgranti. third generation from wild. This is the first time that the fry has grown to this size ( 3"). I assume that there was a 50/50 chance of being female/male. Is there something that I can do to speed up the color, if some are actually male? Thanks....

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
if you're maintaining them in proper chemistry, they're not stressed (tank too small or too crowded for example) and are feeding them a variety of quality foods, they 'should' be in color by now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store