15 gal long?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

losermonkey5

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
delanson ny
So I just set up my 15 gal long tank with land and a little basin of water being filtered by a home made fliter. I was wondering if there was a snake small enough for this size tank or if i should just go with some kind of lizard or newt... Frogs are out for this tank well for now.

Siren

Mythological Creature
You could do a garter snake or a ribbon snake....they are native to North America and can come in a couple of different colours. They can and do eat fish, so your tank could only have him/her in it. They also can have a nasty temper, so not necessarily for a person who has never had a snake. I know they really like water, our college biology lab had a couple as pets and they were alwyas in their water dish....

losermonkey5

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
delanson ny
Ya I was thinking a garter snake I have keep one before and its cool to watch um eat a whole gold fish and have there heads look like a cobra from stretching... and i was also thinking corn snake but i dont htink they would like the set up i have... and anoles i was thinking also... any other lizards that would fit? of course not with the others lol.

Jack459

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
A northern ringneck would be nice but they are very difficult to get to eat.(They eat insects) They stay small(only about 8 inches i think) and they are very nice looking and have a very mild temperment.

Heres a pic
ringneck.jpg

ringneck.jpg

losermonkey5

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
delanson ny
I had a baby one of those always used to dig lil caves in the dirt it was cool... He happened to die at a young age though.

losermonkey5

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
delanson ny
I can't believe those two slipped my mind. Wow that must have been a dumb moment... but still thinking lizard.

Siren

Mythological Creature
Here's a list of lizards that could live in 15 gallon long. Of course these lizards are going to each need very different set-up, here's just a species list with estimated quantities...estimated, because every keeper out there has an opinion on stocking. This just happens to be mine...

Tank laying like normal (lots of horizontal room):
Leopard Geckos (2-3), small species of Skink such as a Five Lined or Schneider (1-3), Spiny/Fence lizard (1-2), several species of Agamas (1-2), perhaps Collard lizards if you get a small species, but they usually do better in groups rather than a single individual, you'll see more natural behavior if they are together in a large tank. I've seen a group of 4 very happily living in a 50 gallon wide.

Tanks standing up on end (lots of vertical room), many branches to climb on:
Anoles (2), common House Geckos (2-3), Tokay Gecko (1, although if you can provide more room, they are happier), small Chameleons....

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
if you want a reptile community tank with a snake, you're only going to pull it off if you get a snake that eats invertebrates like insects exclusively. ringnecks are good, and so are rough green tree snakes. rough green tree snakes are also native to NA and only eat insects and other terrestrial invertebrates. they may be hard to get eating, though, and are timid and shy and need lots of braches to climb on since they are arboreal so i'd be wise to stand the tank on it's side. some of the smaller geckos or anoles would be perfect with it, since they are also arboreal. i'm not sure but it may need to hibernate in the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store