zebra danio and angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

naeelah

Dread Pirate
Feb 20, 2007
I'm just getting ready to set up my first tank since I was a kid. It will be 30 gallons, I think. We haven't bought anything yet, I'm just planning. I understand tank care pretty well (in theory), so I'm trying to bone up on fish breeds and compatibility. (I found some old threads like this, but they didn't quite answer my questions.)

I would definitely like to have 1 angelfish, which I'll add last, and I think I'd like to start out with a school of zebra danio. Perhaps the long-finned variety. I want danio because I really like their look, and because I want an energetic school.

However, it seems danio may not be the best match with angelfish, as they may be too zippy, nippy, or even get eaten. So, what are your experiences with adult zebra danio with adult angelfish? (I'll keep the danio in a school of 5-6, in a 30 gal tank.) If danio are too risky, what would you recommend as a substitute? Something that's a small-ish size (but not so small it will get eaten), similar character, and, ideally, similar look (zebra stripes). I'd like to have as active a school as my angelfish will be able to tolerate (in theory).

Many sources say larger tetra are good companions for angelfish. How would black skirts do? If I get tetras, what sort of adult size should I look for? 2 inches? 2.5?

Thanks for your help!

marc515192

Tetra-Fishionado
Jan 31, 2007
South Dakota
aquazonelive.f-snet.com
I have an angel with diamond tetras and columbian tetras and they get along fine, good size. I do have neons in the tank also but I did have 7 small ones eaten by the angel. The adult size neons are ok. In my tank anyway. The angel doesn't bother them.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
My angels got along fine with the danios..till they grew up..then the danios started to disappear..some swam up the filter some jumped out of the tank and others just disappeared(saw fat angels)

I think the angels hide and struck when the danios weren't looking.

I just try to keep full grown danios or tetras if I were to keep any with angels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store