**** Algae to Hell and who hurt the angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Two things.

1) I did a water test yesterday on my planted Rekord 96 for 2 reasons - one because there is a problem with cyanobacteria algae, and two to rule out finrot on my angelfish. Its top fin is damaged, and there doesn't seem to be any likely culprit - perhaps a one-off scrap with the other angel or festivum? They usually get along swimmingly (haha). Both angels and the festivum are small (2-2.5") and don't worry - as they grow I will upgrade if/when necessary, but I was told that most festivums don't get to more than about 4-5" in captivity (as far as I know males only get to about 4" in the wild). They are nice and peaceful together. Could it be the danios? There are 3, but tend to just scrap amongst themselves. There's plenty of hiding places and plant cover. It happened once before but it healed up within a week or so. That was before I got the festivum and other angel.

2) I figured nitrates might be high. But NOOOOO. Amm = 0, Nit = 0, Nitrate = 12.5. What's going on? I have further reduced the photoperiod to just 8 hours. I feed the fish one cube of frozen food (usually mixed daphnia, artemia, bloodworm and mysis) or a pinch of Tetra Pro Colour crisp flakes (they are orange with a red circle in the centre) each day, alternating, with one or two days a week with no food. I have reduced this to alternating every other day. Could the problem be phosphate in the frozen food? If so what can I do?

Thanks,
momar

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Although many people have mentioned all manner of likely culprits for blue-green algae, I have come to the conclusion that there really is no culprit except the bacteria itself. If it finds its way in, that's that. You will have it no matter what your water conditions are.

The only sure fire means of getting rid of it is erythromycin. A serious blackout during the last few days of the treatment really helps as well.

If you think you have a phosphate problem there are test kits for that, and media that is said to remove it. But honestly I doubt you have any need to worry about such things. Unless you're also getting incredible amounts of "regular" algae, phosphates aren't a likely culprit.

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
there is some hair algae, but not a massive amount. i have heard that that is normal. Is erythromycin readily available?

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
It is...either as Maracyn, EM Tablets, or under some generic names.

Google erythromycin and blue-green algae and you should be able to find plenty of info on how to administer it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store