Cory Developed Puffy Eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
I'm just having no luck. After having a gourami kill almost all my new fish while I was at work/sleeping... now while I was at work today of the 2 supposedly healthy corys I come home to find one dead and the other having suddenly within the last 10 hours having developed popeye. I'm assuming its popeye, the eye is a bit distended and cloudy looking.

I read that I should treat w/ aq. salt, 1 tbs per 5 gallons... is this good advice? The tank is currently stocked w/ black neons, 3 platies, and one puffy eyed false julii cory cat.

I also read something about marcyn 2 or melafix. Should I try either of these?

I had been wondering about the health of these fish since the start. When I bought the first cory cats that the gourami killed, there were a few dead corys in the tank along w/ a whole mess of baby tiger barbs. They had cleaned it out by the time I got the replacements but these were the last 2 cory cats they had. I'm wondering if the dead corys in the tank were due to bacteria/fungal issues.

I have low maintenance plants in the tank as well... would the salt or meds cause them any harm? I'm about to do water tests and then a pwc right this minute. I'll wait back to hear something on the other.

Thank you. =/

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
pop eye is caused by poor water conditions. your tank is cycling still, correct? you shoudl probably do a water change

BTW, do you know that it was the gourami? from what you said you never acctually saw him. the high ammoina probably killed the tetras, not the gourami.

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
Yes, Jim. I do know it was the gourami. Yes, I said as much. I saw their wounds. I saw him be aggressive. I do daily water tests and daily changes. My water parameters have been very good. I used Bio Spira when I started the tank. You think its not possible they had bacteria/fungus before they entered my tank?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
the wounds coudve been inflicted after death. he was aggressive because he saw his own reflection. a normally content betta or other gourami would do the same. that just how gouramis are.

how good is good? for some species, even a little bit of ammonia, nitrites, or a combination of both can cause pop-eye.

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
I saw the fish wounded but not yet dead, for your information. They were NOT inflicted after death. The gourami was not just aggressive at his reflection, it is simply what he focused on when he could see it. When the lighting was such so that he could not see his reflection he turned his aggression to his tankmates. I have kept bettas for years and I'm quite aware of their flaring at their reflection, thank you, but this gourami was definitely aggressive. I was here with the ability to watch the tank while you were not and you are doubting everything that I say that I observed. You minimalize what I say and make it seem as if I'm confused about the fish and his reflection and the difference between that and aggression. Not so. And since you've not offered any suggestions or answer to my questions regarding treatment of the condition I think I would rather hear from other people on this issue. You seem to only want to pick me apart. I care just as much about my pets as you do yours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store