male dwarf gourami in same tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

naeelah

Dread Pirate
Feb 20, 2007
I'm preparing my plans for a new tank, a 30 gallon that's 3 feet long. I'd like to have maybe 3 gourami. I've been planning to get dwarf gourami, as I'd prefer the smaller size, and I like their coloring. My original plan was to get 1 male and 2 females, to avoid in fighting.

However, I've read that two males can exist relatively peacefully in a tank of 3 feet or more, as that gives them enough room to stake out their own territories. (The other fish that will be in the setup are not territorial at all.) But then there's the issue of the female being out numbered. Do you think two males and a female would be ok in this setup?

If two male dwarfs would harrass a female too much, what if I got a female of a larger variety, such as a moonlight? Would her size make her safer?

Or, as a third option, what if I got rid of the female entirely? (I hear that male gourami are often a little happier with a woman around.)

Would any of those options work, in your experience, or is it just too dangerous to abandon the few males, more females rule?

Thanks!

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I had three male dwarf gourami without any troubles... sometimes they'd fight...but, usually during feeding time.....but, i also have a 70gallon tank.. so they had plenty of room..

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
I like to give them 5-6 gallons of space.The dominant male will probably take the top corner of the tank where there is the least amount of water movement even if no females are present.Add two females and they they stay near the bottom half and give you good space distibution.That would probably be best depending what other fish you plan.

naeelah

Dread Pirate
Feb 20, 2007
Ok, I'll stick with the original plan!

I'll buy one male. I might just stick with the one gourami. If I decide to add more, is it ok to add females later, or do they need to be introduced at the same time?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
You're probably OK adding a female later.

A key to having multiples of a species that doesn't get along w/ others of the same/similar species is having lots of visual barriers, preferably in a long tank. Breaking up the lines of sight works wonders w/ things like puffers - it helps w/ other species too.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
You can add the females later but, when you do, I would add the females at the same time. If you add one and then wait to add the second one, the first one will have already set up its territory and it can be hard for the other female to come in and establish her own area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store