!! a few questions !!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cullyisgully

salt water ffeen
Jan 24, 2007
Queens, New York
what is up i have a few question frits one is

1. what is a good clean up crew for a 72 bow tank. right now i have 2 emrald crab, 10 red leg hermet crab, 5 snail.

2. will a clown fish go in too a pink tip aneamen.

3. what is the lowes MH watt that i can put on my 72 bow.

4. what is the best medicine to cure H.E.L.L [ it is on my hippo tang]

any inpot is wellcome

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
OK lets take these one at a time.

Your clean up crew should be added to on an as needed basis. If you find some type of algae or exces ditrus build up reasearch the problem and find the appropriate cleaner to take care of it.

A clown fish should never be expected to host in an aneone, the symbiotic relationship is hit or miss in the home aquaria. Not to mention that by reading your other threads you are no where near ready to take care of an anemone, you still have high nitrite not to mention what your nitrate reading must be, you obviously by your next question don't have the proper light and you are takeing the right steps to get the proper knowledge but have NOWHERE near the experience required for an animal of that sensitivity.

As far as lighting goes. I would suggest two 150W 14K MH fixtures and bulbs (no the fixture does not have a kelvin rateing that is just the bulb). This is obviously what I suggest but depending on what you want ot kepp the requirements may vary.

First off it's H.L.L.E. which stands for Head and Latteral Line Erosion. There is no med for this. Your fish has this disease because you failed to research the animal and make sure that your tank was suited to it's needs. HLLE is cause by poor diet and poor water conditions. There is no way around this you put the animal in conditions that would pale in comparison to a mexican jail cell. Sorry if that's a bit harsh but I am a firm beliver that sometimes the truth hurts. My best suggestion if you truely care about the animals you are trying to keep is to take them back to the LFS, no matter if they give you a credit or not, keep your tank at just liverock and possibly any clean up crew you can not catch. Toss in a cocktail shrimp and start over from there takeing the proper time and effort, not to mention money, to make sure that you have things right BEFORE you go to the LFS and say ooohhh thats pretty give me one.

I do however comend you for comeing here once you saw that there was a problem. I truely appolagize if I have come across rude or mean as that was not my intention, my true intention was to stress the importance of research and patience. If you combine these two things you will be well on your way to a healthy thriveing marine enviroment. If you don't well then I guess I'll know who to tell the doctor caused my carpultunnels syndrome cause I will answer any question you would like, even if I think you might not like the answer.

Joe

P.S. please excuse any typos that are in my posts I suffer from sever migrain disorder and am often heavly medicated when posting and do make typos, hopefully you can still understand what I am saying.

Last edited:

cullyisgully

salt water ffeen
Jan 24, 2007
Queens, New York
thank man i need all the help i can git. i dont mine if u come off mean. that just mean u carry.

thes are the pumps that i have in my tank. 404 fluvale, 250 proten skimer, 2 power heads. ill post up some pic and u can tell me what i need 2 fix or just need 2 have that i dont . ight thank man

Picture 212.jpg Picture 213.jpg Picture 204.jpg 635y.jpg 656.jpg Picture 142.jpg Picture 198.jpg Picture 201.jpg Picture 175.jpg Picture 157.jpg

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Good I was hopeing you did not take my post the wrong way.

Few questions:

How long has your tank benn up and running?
What are your paramiters?
What is your stock (all of it)?
What are you running in the Fluval?
I only see one powerhead, what is it and am I missing any?
Can I get a better pic of the hippo tang to see how far along the HLLE is?
What lighting do you have now?? Type and wattage?

We'll start there and see if we can get you back on track!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
HLLE is usually caused by poor nutrition and water quality. While your Tang might not fully heal, I would suggest supplying a better diet and more frequent water changes while making sure your water is stable.

I believe I gave you a link about a month ago about it. Anyway, I just found this one that may help:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1992&articleid=2587

What do you currently feed your fish?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Ok, instead of both of us saying feed better food try this, Supply with dried seaweed avalible at any LFS, also feed mysis dosed with garlic to give the fish extra HUFA's and the garlic will help to boost the imune system and help prevent any other problems due to the weakend imune system.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Is the HLLE still consolidated to around the eye or has it started to spread to the latteral line??

Germanman

My fish are my babies
First off it's H.L.L.E. which stands for Head and Latteral Line Erosion. There is no med for this. Your fish has this disease because you failed to research the animal and make sure that your tank was suited to it's needs. HLLE is cause by poor diet and poor water conditions. There is no way around this you put the animal in conditions that would pale in comparison to a mexican jail cell. Sorry if that's a bit harsh but I am a firm beliver that sometimes the truth hurts. My best suggestion if you truely care about the animals you are trying to keep is to take them back to the LFS, no matter if they give you a credit or not, keep your tank at just liverock and possibly any clean up crew you can not catch. Toss in a cocktail shrimp and start over from there takeing the proper time and effort, not to mention money, to make sure that you have things right BEFORE you go to the LFS and say ooohhh thats pretty give me one. .
dont take it back to the store they will just kill it more...most stores actually start the H.L.L.E it is reversible and ive nursed many tangs back from it. you need to feed them a diet of brine, sperilina brine, and mysis(all frozen) that has been enriched with silcon and maybe some zoa marine. in addition to that you should give them dried algae on a clip twice a day that should be both green and red algae and even brown if u can get it. in addition to all that the water quality must be perfect and you will need to filter out all organics with a good skimmer and some top notch chemical filtration. this has always worked for me when i took in sick tangs and should work if you do exactly this. no skimping on items and the brand should be Hikari frozen foods and Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Selects. also dont use a imitation brand use the real Silcon.
i do agree that it is in terrible condition though and agree with everything but taking it to a pet store.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
The reason I suggest that the fish be returned is that she stated elsewhere that her nitrITE is at 20. My thinking is that there is a more serious problem that should be fixed first. Unless ofcourse there is a QT tank that the fish could be moved to to help keep the exacting water quality that is needed, otherwise the fish will just continue to suffer anyways while the water quality problem is put back in check.

Not trying to argue just think that more views and info from other threads will help get this straightened out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store