Sick dwarf gourami please help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

christie71

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
29 gal tank
nitrite 0
ph 7.2-7.6 (normal for my tank)
nitrate 0-5 but closer to 5
amm 0

I have :
2 loaches(zebra and kuhlli)
2 dwarf Gourami's (males)
3 guppies plus 5 babies in a fish breeder net
3 platties, most recent addition as of last sat and al are great!
3 angels all are well (young)
2 dwarf frogs

My dwarf has had a hard time with the other male and in the past few weeks has seemed like it's given up- it has been hiding except to come and eat... I was looking to re-home my other gourami to aleaviate this. AS of three days today i noticed it hasn't come out to eat... upon futher inspection it has some sort of dark "stuff" on its head back to the gills across it's back and traveling down to it's lower fins... The fish seems to be getting worse and I don't know what to do.
One of my other guppies looks like maybe it has the same stuff on it but i can't be sure it isn't coloring of the fish... The same guppie has a split tail fin that I noticed a week ago but thought nothing of- it is healthy looking eatting swimming active...

What do you all think it is, what do I do about it? Should I add salt? Should I get other meds?
My best guesses from internet surfing are velvetlooks moreblack/greay thatrust colored tho), black patches, or fungus/bacteria(altho it is not hairy at all)
Any help is greatly appreciated!! This is my first illness...:help: :help: :help:

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Besides whatever medications may be best (someone will say), I think the most important thing you can do know is to get the nitrate down by water changes and to separate the males.

Hope this helps.

B.W.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Feeshwater, do some daily changes of 20-30%. Adding a little NaCl may help to prevent any infections setting into open wounds or ripped fins.

And separating the gouramis is a must. They just should not be trusted together in a small tank.

There is a good chance it is simply stress that is killing the one gourami, so getting rid of the stress may be the only thing that can help.

christie71

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
I do have a 10 gal tank that has nothing in it... how quickly can I cycle that considering I can use water and gravel from my cycled tank... I also have a friend who was giong to take the othe male gourami but don't know if she will incase this is something else...
i thought nitrate were Ok at small levels- no??
I will do a water change --
what about salt, any other meds? I do know this poor guy is stressed so I think stress could be the only prob...
If my friend won't take one and I can't get a tank set up in time what do I do then...
Thanks for getting me out of this mess I cause :guilt: and being kind about it!!

rhardy

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
You should be able to get the 10 gal up and running within hours by using water and gravel from your active tank. Make sure you use enough new water to start bringing the nitrate level down. Nitrate levels should be closer to 0 than 5. Some kind of antishock treatment would be helpful in the 10 gal when relocating the gourami. Many of the shock treatment medications have antifungal medication in them.

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
One dwarf gourami will typically pester the other until it dies.....That said....I would return one to the LFS immediately, or move it into another tank. I keep ONE in my 5g at work. He's very healthy with 1 ADF, 2 ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail.

Does he have little black dots? Mine did, for a while....I was VERY worried....but they went away...and turned out to be normal coloring for a dwarf gourami. Their coloring changes from time to time related to their reproductive status and environmental factors.

christie71

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Thank you--
I am actually setting up anouther 20 gal tank and putting just him in it to see how he does...( I figure with the water and stones and piece of the current filter in a new one it should be like a water change more than a new tank... he will be the only one in there too so the bio load won't be large)
Yes there are some black spots and coloring- as I said before I could totally see it just being from the other gourami-- I feel bad that I let it get here but live and learn...
I will add the shock treatment to the tank too...
Should I add salt to either of the tanks?
Thanks soooo much for your help!!!!

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
I don't use salt in my tanks unless they have ich. Just keep the water clean with zero ammonia....and maybe he'll perk up.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: Agree w/ most of the others. Good possibilty the dominant male gouramie is stressing the other. Your nitrates aren't bad but when a fish is ill, the resistance is already taxed. Maintaining close to "0" thru W/C's is best medicine. Separate asap w/ some water, substrate & media from your existing set-up. If you have stresscoat or smething similar that would be good. A little salt won't hurt. Good luck, "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store