Piranha and a buddy????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cheyenna

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2007
My son (11) wants a Piranha for his birthday. We set up a 55 gallon tank in his room and are going to get a fish this weekend.
What will be a good tank mate for a piranha??? We do not want alot of fish in there just one to give him company. Will another Piranha be a good choice.
Should I get a rather small one so it will adjust better to it's tank mates????

Thanks.....

Also, will it eat a sucker fish????:help:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
the best fish to keep with piranha are ... other piranha. this is a schooling species which does best in groups of 5 or more. such a group needs 'swimming' room and unfortunately, a 55 gallon tank simply isn't large enough.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I hate to disagree here, but it depends. Lots of people who start out w/ multiple P's end up w/ just one big one.

If you want multiples, stick to a less aggressive variety. In any case, try for a species that doesn't get too big (some will grow to >12"!).

I would expect most P species to pretty much ignore most Plecos & raphael cats (again, stick to smaller types, common Plecos will also outgrow a 55).

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
I have seen all sorts of fish torn up by pirhanas including plecos and oscars. I do not suggest keeping any other species with them.

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
Will he be responsible for the fish? Or will you be taking care of them? Has he had fish in his room before?

My son would like to have a great white shark in the pool out back....but he's not getting one. lol

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
do you really want to start out with pirhana? there are so many things that could go wrong

when i was in 7th grade, my science teacher had a tank with pirhana in it, and i dont even know how many kids joked around about putting their hands in the tank etc., and these kids were a year or two older than your son is now.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
There was a single 8" RB Pirhana in a 29 in the house when I was a tot. He jumped out during a semi-annual PWC. My dad picked him up by the tail.

OOPS! Fish turned up and took a nice bite out of the large pad of his thumb.

"Gus" was a cool fish, but I've never been interested in keeping Pirhana.

Other species exhibit far more aggression w/o the potential for needing stitches.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
when i was in 7th grade, my science teacher had a tank with pirhana in it, and i dont even know how many kids joked around about putting their hands in the tank etc., and these kids were a year or two older than your son is now.
Same here, except in HIGH SCHOOL.

Go to your son and say - Listen here son, me and your mother dont think you can handle having such a violent creature in your room. Maybe its best that we.........move it downstairs and fill it with less dangerous fish.

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Aren't tetras at least distantly related to piranhas? Maybe your son could do some research and find out what kind of piranha is actually good for the set up. If he's part of the planning, he may be even more apt to do the upkeep :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store