Live Rock Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
hey there,
I`ve had a problem with my 17 gallon Aquarium where my fish have got to go into a Q tank as they have white spot so my question is i have hermits & a few mushrooms & 9kg of live rock

I'm thinking of leaving my 17 gal fish in quarantine until i do a tank up grade in 2months time where the live rock from my 29 gal & 17 gal will be added to a 55 gal tank

My question is will my live rock be ok without fish in the tank for 2months?
i will feed my hermits the odd pinch of dried fish food & nori wafers but what about the live rock? a bacteria formula like you use to speed up maturity within a new tank are will it be fine left alone for two months as i'm guessing all the ich/white spot will be dead by then & the rock will be safe to run in my new tank

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT​

SaltTinker

AC Members
Dec 1, 2006
QT should be bare tanks with something for the fish to hide behind, but not live rock or sand. This is in case you need to medicate, which could destroy the bacteria on LR & LS.

A quick freshwater bath (5-10 seconds) would be my first step. Quickly move them out if they start to stress, like turning pale and freaking out. Then placing them in a sterile saltwater tank (QT) the same temp, salinity, and pH of the original tank.

Good luck.

SaltTinker

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
hey there,
I`ve had a problem with my 17 gallon Aquarium where my fish have got to go into a Q tank as they have white spot so my question is i have hermits & a few mushrooms & 9kg of live rock

I'm thinking of leaving my 17 gal fish in quarantine until i do a tank up grade in 2months time where the live rock from my 29 gal & 17 gal will be added to a 55 gal tank

My question is will my live rock be ok without fish in the tank for 2months?

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT​
The ich should definitely be gone if all the fish are out for 2 whole months. If you're worried about the "good" bacteria, I would say since you're still going to have inverts and will be feeding them food, the bacteria should not die off.

When you get your new tank I would cycle it with the filter media and some sand from your old tank. I would also not add all of your fish at the same time. Are you going to be using the same filter at all or a completely different one (or two)?

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
SaltTinker the Q tank is bare well apart from a few bits of base/ocen rock for the fish to hide behind the live rock im worried about is in my 17 gallon tank which is now empty apart from a few mushrooms & hermits...

i`l be using my 205 fluval external filter thats running on my 29 gallon tank & the 20kg`s of live rock from that tank & the 9kg`s from the 17gallon & all the sand......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store