How i built the display tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
First, I decided on the size of the tank. In my case, I decided 53” long, 15” wide, 24.5“ tall..

With these measurements in hand, I went to my local glass merchants and got them to cut them to the correct sizes. Getting the glass merchants to do this for you will ensure that they are very accurate.

I did 10mm glass for all sides, and went with 2 x 10 mm sheets of tempered glass for the base. The glass merchants bonded the two base sheets together for me for a few quid..

When I had the glass back home, i started out with the base on a level platform. I purchased a large sheet off particle board purposely just to be used for this because I have a carpeted floor and I wanted a sturdy work platform. I put about a 8mm wide bead of silicon along one length and one side only, and same size of silicon on what is to be the front and one side (**note** I never doubled up on any silicon).

First piece I fixed was the long front panel and supported that in place, and then I affixed the side panel and mated the joints together. Main point to note on the silicon seams is to make sure you DONT see any air bubbles as this will lead to a potential leak point when the silicon cures...once both panels were in place and supported, i then used duck tape (fabric tape) to hold the to pieces together while I fitted standard compression clamps to apply pressure to the corner joint. Did not feel the need to clamp the sides onto the bottom glass as the weight of the glass holds this into place..

Left this to cure for thee days and repeated the same process for the back of the tank and the other side..

After a week of leaving it standing, inspected all joints for air bubbles...I did have to remove one end panel as I was not happy with the joint. This involved using a scalpel blade to cut the glass out, re-clean all surfaces to remove the silicon, put down fresh silicon, fitted the glass, taped and clamped. Left again for another 3 days for all to seal..

When i was happy that all the joints were good, i then ran a silicon seal all around the inside edges protect the seams..

Next, up is the top supporting frame of glass...For this, i had to speak to my glass merchants because i did not understand how wide to make the supports inside the top rim of the tank. Going on their advice, i went for a 3 inch support bar round the inside rim. The first two pieces to be installed were the two lengths that run from end to end. I set a 2 inch depth for the supports. What I mean by that is that the supporting braces or bars will be 2 inches down from the top rim of the tank. Same procedure as before, 3 mm wide bead of silicon, put in place, taped and clamped and left to cure for 3 days. I repeated the procedure for the end supporting braces. I fitted these on the underside of the two braces that run the length of the tank, taped and sealed. As the two long lengths were already cured, I fitted the centre tank brace which is 5 inches wide, silicone in place, taped and clamped..

When you are measuring up and thinking about the bracing that is going to be used around the inside of the tank, bear in mind any equipment that is going to hanging on the back of the tank. On the back of the tank, the long brace that runs the length, i purposely left holes in the corners so any wires or pipes can still be fed through to the inside of the tank. I made this hole big enough to pass an electric plug through..

The tank was then left for another week to cure and then fill tested for a week..

That’s about it really. One thing i want to make clear though, is that it is not very hard to build the tank, but more so very taxing on the brain doing the measurements to ensure that bracing widths are correct, holes in the corners are right so plugs can just about be passed through them...

Just use logic and thought, and it should be fine..

Do expect to make a mistake and end up having to cut a panel out because you don’t think it has sealed correctly. Its all part of learning. The only thing i would do differently, is have MORE, loads MORE clamps at hand..

Hope this helps people and gives them some sort of direction when they are considering making their own tank..

Niko

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Nice write up Niko any chance you got pics to go with it????

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
Very cool Niko! Everything about ready to go? Cant wait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store