Hello fellow aquarium buffs!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

20gallonman

Registered Member
Feb 24, 2007
Hi!

I've had aquariums for about the past 40 years, off and on. Bred some black mollies but not for resale. I just love the color possible in a tank. Probably because I'm color blind. I've got a 20 gallon one now in my study, on a stand just next to my PC. I can see it as I type.

I went on line today to see how to get rid of what looks to me to be a black velvet algae that just showed up my 20 gal tank. I was doing my bi-monthly tank cleanup, cleaning gravel, adding water, etc. and was about to trim some leaves with this black stuff on them. To my complete surprise, I found that just by poking them with my small scissors could pull off the algae in a big blob. It's not the hard dard algae I've had from time to time. I scooped them all up with my net. In vacuuming the gravel with my siphon, I found much more on the floor of the tank.

I've read some earlier posts on the matter and have changed out about a third of the water, changed filter bags and now will cross my fingers it doesn't come back. Once, serveral years ago, when this happened earlier, my local shop suggested an antibiotic, myelmicin or something like that. I used it and the algae didn't return. I'm taking a sample to them tomorrow for suggestions.

I look forward to posting to all.

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
Tell me how it goes, since I'm battling this form (among others) of algae as well. I'm trying to change the water more often, to around 50% each week. I'll tell you how it goes.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Would love to see you start a thread on battling your algae. It could be very beneficial to all!

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store