4-6 green spotted puffers in 10gal tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xxboomer408xx

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
Well I know that i might be wrong and they might kill each other, but just hear me out please!

I bought a 10 gallon tank at wal-mart along with 4 green spotted puffers and to african chilliads<(sp) and they seem to get along well except for one littler guy. they're all around an inch and a half or smaller. So i took him out and put him in a 2.5 gallon tank becuase he would chase all the other puffers away when they were eating! He even bit one near his eye!!!! I was like ahhh! So i thought that would solve the problem. Then this guy at walmart told me that i had to have like 6 of them so they won't be aggresive! But i did read on here now that each fish is suppost to have around 10 gallons each after the fiirst one that has 25 gallions? so anyways now the 3 puffers that are in there are fighting themselves when they eat! what should I do! please give me some advice!

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Green spotted puffer are one of the most aggressive species of puffer. They need minimum 30 gallons and 15 additional gallons for each additional goldfish. As you are learning, walmart is not the best place for fish advice. The best thing you can do right now is find a pet store that will take all of the puffers. In your tank they will all end up killing each other. Even if one does survive all the fighting, it will likely die from your tank being so small. Once you get rid of the puffers you have, a trio of dwarf puffers will be great for a 10 gallon tank.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
Well I know that i might be wrong and they might kill each other
ok, you've proven your point. now take them back to the LFS and get some fish that can thrive in ten gallons.

xxboomer408xx

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
I just got a 55 or more gallon tank! Any tips on setting it up? 4 puffers will be fine in there rite?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Only for now, as juvies. As adults they need a minimum of 30g each. Get Bio-Spira to instant-cycle the tank. Use crushed coral for substrate. Lots decor is necessary to help break up the lines of sight, to prevent aggression. I had 2 in a 55 & I'm sure one would have been happier alone in there.

Be sure to read that article I linked you to, several times.

ROFL KATELYN X

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
:) WAL MART ASSOSIATES DONT REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT FISH. THEY JUST READ THE LITTLE LABEL AT THE BOTTOTM OF THE TANK AND SAY YA SURE....

IM SUPRISED YOUR WAL MART SELLS PUFFERS THATS WIERD.

GO TO A LOCAL FISH STORE WHERE THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE KNOW WAY MORE ABOUT FISH AND ONLY FISH.. NOT TOASTERS AND LAUNDRY BASKETS.

YOUR BEST BET IS TO BRING THEM BACK OR DONATE THEM TO SOMEONE WHO HAS ENOUGH ROOM.
YOU WOULDNT WANNA KILL EM.:hang:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Believe me, most LFS really don't know much more about puffers, than Walmart.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
Believe me, most LFS really don't know much more about puffers, than Walmart.
That's very true. I have yet to go to any fish store that knew anything about puffers. Except for this one gal at Petsmart anyway, but dwarf puffers were the only thing she knew anything about. Other than that she was just your average Petsmart employee selling aquarium salt to everybody who came in the door.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store