Stocking - how many gallons PER Angel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

band_width_band

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have a question not on aquarium size, but on stocking levels.

Assuming a large tank, how many gallons per angelfish should be set aside? i.e. If a cardinal tetra consumes 2 gallons of your “inch per gallon” rule of thumb, how many does an angel take?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well I don't really use a inch per gallon or gallons per fish. Too many other variables to be able to put it into a straight calculation.

In large tanks, 55 gal and up, at least 15 gal per full sized angel. I wouldn't put more than 3 in a 55 for the long term, but would for growout.

joelfish

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
In a 55 that is dedicated to angels, I would recommend at least 6 of more or less equal size. The reason being is that with lesser numbers, there tends to be a lot more aggression. When the numbers get higher, things equal out and they aren't nearly as aggressive to each other - I've done this a lot - works with discus too. With only three, the most dominate one will be able to bully the other two, but with six, the most dominate can't keep up with bullying everyone!

Use some high driftwood, or plants to break up territories and give them a places to swim to if they are being chased by someone else.

If two pair up, they'll pick an area of the tank and defend it, but not to the death :).

I've bred angels for 15 years.

Here is one of the best angel breeders in in the country, look at what he has to say about stocking levels: http://www.angelsplus.com/Care.htm

hth,
joefish

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the general rule is calculate for adult anges..that being said..the general rule is 10 gals per angel. with the tank size being a minimum 20 tall(for breeders) 29 is my preference.

in a 55 you could go with 6-8 juveniles but have a tank or two ready in the event of pairs forming or an occassional dominant male(will terrorize allthe other males)

the rules are a bit different for 'wild' angels. I am finding resources which recommend larger tanks for wild scalare..the peruvian need even more space as males will quarrel ..

James Walton

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
for a 55 gallon most angel expert breeders would say no more than 20 full grown anges in a 50 gallon tank.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I'm agreeing with Rbishop and star...10-15 gallon per ADULT angel. Of course if they are juvies more for grow out.

"55 gallon most angel expert breeders would say no more than 20 full grown anges in a 50 gallon tank." Wow I wouldn't put 20 full grown angels in my 125!! What a massive bioload for a 55!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store