Question on Fish in my 90 Gallon Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
I have my 90 gallon reef up now for 7 weeks and everything is going great now... I battled through ick... and thanks to the help of all you guys did not lose a fish, coral or invert (all I did was keep my water perfect, fed my fish a couple times a day with a vitamin dose also, and bought a second cleaner shrimp) The ick is only been cleared up for a few days now so I am obviously still watching like crazy but good signs so far...

But My question about fish in my 90 gallon reef is this:
What fish to add to the tank and what fish not to...

My tank is a 90 gallon reef with a 20 gallon sump and a 10 gallon refugium.

The Fish I have in the tank now that are battling through ick (so I will not be adding fish for a while obviously but I want to know what to get when its time):
1 True Percula Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 Flame Angel
1 Cardinal
5 Blue/Green Reef Chromis
1 Neon Gold Goby

The Fish I would like to add but don’t know if it will be to many fish are:
1 Yellow Tang
1 Diamond Watchman Goby (not sure about him, might just get more Nasarius snails so I don’t have to add another fish to the tank)

Not going to be adding any fish for a few months so I know ick is under control, but I would like to know if I can still put a yellow tang in the tank or will that be to many fish?

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Tang = Ick Magnet!

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
not if you take care of them right
Sorry Dr. Sprung, let me rephrase; If you have just the slightest sign of ick in your tank or the fish you buy has any the Tang will be the first to get it and bad. My tank perams are very good, run a 9W sterilizer, I feed a balanced diet, and temps stay stable yet my blue Tang caught it off a new comer who later died. I waited until the blue was clean and added a Purple who caught it within 1 day. Luckily the blue and purple seem to be almost bullet proof as they continue have a ravenous appetite and are shaking the bug. The flame angel on the other hand never gets it. He's like the Energizer Bunny! Since I have a reef angels are out and I personally like the tangs so I persevere. :)

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Sorry Dr. Sprung, let me rephrase; If you have just the slightest sign of ick in your tank or the fish you buy has any the Tang will be the first to get it and bad. My tank perams are very good, run a 9W sterilizer, I feed a balanced diet, and temps stay stable yet my blue Tang caught it off a new comer who later died. I waited until the blue was clean and added a Purple who caught it within 1 day. Luckily the blue and purple seem to be almost bullet proof as they continue have a ravenous appetite and are shaking the bug. The flame angel on the other hand never gets it. He's like the Energizer Bunny! Since I have a reef angels are out and I personally like the tangs so I persevere. :)
thats to bad to hear about the tang...my cleaner wrasse and shrimp take care if ich lol. as do another couple of secrets. cleaner wrasses shouldnt be used really though... cleaner gobies or a few cleaner shrimp are best for most aquariums.
PS im not a doctor yet lol got lost more school to go

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I have a cleaner shrimp and he works well. He's doing his best and my ick problem is going away. I agree with no cleaner wrasses. I find they stress out some fish by chasing all the time. They seem to best with big fish.

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
That is my plan, to wait a few months to get rid of the ich and then get the fish... I was just not sure if I could put those 2 fish in the system without having to many fish for my 90 gallon tank...

Uncarved Block

Formerly known as "Uncarved Block"
Sep 17, 2006
Washington
You should be fine adding the yellow tang or the watchman. How come you only have one cardinal? They do best as schooling fish....

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
I only have one cardinal because I did not know that it was a schooling fish when i first started my 24 gallon reef... I have had the fish for 1.5 years now and he seems to do good... I would add more to make a school but I do not want to add the additional fish load...

So one other question about the topic on hand... Will I be ok if I add a watchman and a yellow tang? or should I only add one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store