Is this fin rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JDC

AC Members
May 6, 2005
Hey guys, I have a betta who is 2 years old. I thought he had fin rot but I wonder if its something else. It started out with a hole in his bottom fin,now all the "flesh" is gone off his bottom fin, but a skeleton of the fin remains(make sense??) The fin rot I have seen the fin usually rots off. He has now lost some color in his lower body. Is this a case of fin rot? I have had fish with fin rot but nothing like this, anyone have any ideas that would be great!!

ROFL KATELYN X

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
i had some gourmis --sp? that had that happen to them. i treated them with a fungus and parasite removier.. but they ended up dying.. it ate away thier fins and then they started to pus. =( i ended up getting rid of them. as bad as that sounds. i dont think theres much you can do. go to a pet store and find some medicine for them??

GOOD LUCK!!! =)

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Do you have pics? Have you been doing any treatments?

JDC

AC Members
May 6, 2005
Ive tried Maracyn one and two. I used clout, melafix, I cant get any healing.
Ammonia, nirtate and nitrite are all at 0 because I have done a lot of water changes lately. Im wondering if the ammonia was high before the changes and maybe he had ammonia burn. Any ideas please?
the picture is crap im trying to downsize it, but none of the fin has fallen off like it does with finrot ive seen, the inside of the fin looks like a "skeleton" with all the color coming off.

DSC00042 (3).JPG

Last edited:

MollyBreeder

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Hawley, Pennsylivina
Umm...lol...Is that a betta? Do you have a better picture? **Tip: Put the lens on the glass of the tank when you take it, and please no flash!!!**

JDC

AC Members
May 6, 2005
The picture is crystal clear on my computer but when i upload it, it gets huge and blurry. Ive tried other pics and downsizing(maybe Im doing something wrong). ill try my best and get this to work.

JDC

AC Members
May 6, 2005
I know this one isnt crystal clear either:mad2:,but, you can see that the whole fin is intact. The inside of the fin seems to be "disolving". It started out with a hole then slowly got like this. You can see in the second pic if you look close the "skeleton" like look of his fin.

Picture.jpg Picture 125.jpg

JDC

AC Members
May 6, 2005
All are 0 because of the water changes Ive made since he has got this. I normally do a 25% water change every week. So this is a case of fin rot?

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
When my fish had fin rot his fins just looked riped. Yours seems to be loseing color and turning tansparent. I would start treating it though. Mealfix says it "rapidly repairs damaged fins..open wounds, promotes regrowth of damaged tissue and fins"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store