College bound student who wants a clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bethanie

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2007
Hi! I just joined this forum today, and I hope that you can help me! This September, I will be going off to college :). Being a HUGE animal lover, I was dismayed, but not surprised, that the only animals allowed in the dorms are fish, in a maximum tank of 10 gallons. Now, I have kept orandas and beta fish my entire life, but I have always wanted a clownfish. I never got one though because I thought setting up the saltwater tank would be too difficult. Also, some man at a fish store told me I would need AT LEAST a 150 gallon tank to accomodate just one clownfish, which I thought was absurd. I just read in an article about clownfish on this site, that although a 30 gallon tank is best suited, a 10 gallon tank would work for a single mated pair. I have plans to just own 1 clownfish though, as I do not wish for multiple fish to be aggressive towards one another. So...I want a 10 gallon salt water set up, with one clown fish (and one only), for a dorm room. In your opinion, what steps do I need to take to accomplish this, and really, any advice will be greatly appreciated and tremendously helpful. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I have a couple of months and I am determined!! Thank you!

Also, I forgot to mention that yesterday I talked with a lady at a different fish store, and she told me that a 10 gallon tank for one (or two) clownfish would be fine. She told me that I would need to set up the saltwater tank and have the water running and stabilizing for about 6 weeks. In that time, she said that it would be alright to have damsels in the tank. What do you think??

Last edited:

darthgoby

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
Just some advice about keeping damsels in your tank as your first fish. I did it without knowing any better but wouldn't do it again.

What you are trying to do with the damsels is cycle the tank. I used them to cycle my tank and have realized that there are other ways. I would suggest doing a search for a "fishless" cycle in that you use other methods (cocktail shrimp, etc) for the following reasons:

1) It is more humane to do so. During your cycling, you get ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes which can be harmful to fish. It is not uncommon to lose fish during the cycling process.

2.) If your fish survive the cycle, good luck getting them out. I have 4 blue green chromis that I have not been able to get out of my tank. I've tried to net them, trap them, etc and I can't get them out. Since you have a 10 gallon tank, if you put damsels in there you won't be able to do much else.

I didn't know any better and I regret doing it the way that I did.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Not to rain on your parade, but have you thought about what you will do on breaks at the college?

At my school they turned off the electricity and heat (or air conditioning depending on the season) over breaks. I never kept anything more complicated than a small betta tank so that I could bring the fish home with me when necessary. It's just something to keep in mind!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Basically, I would do it like this:

1. Set up tank (Power filter, power head, 5-15 ilbs. of live rock and 0-20 ilbs. sand).

2. Fishless cycle tank (the marine newbie forum has a sticky on cylcing).

3. Add clownfish (do a search for "drip acclimation").

Done.

Also, if you invest in the proper lighting (wich isn't much of an investment, maybe $50 for a basic lighting system), and are willing to put the extra time for maintenance in, you could add corals as well. Invertebrates such as snails, crabs and shrimp can also be kept with little extra care.

Regular maintenance would include weekly water changes, weekly filter cleaning (just rinse the media in old tank water during water changes), weekly water testing (although after about 6 months of the tank being up, if water stays stable, you will only need to test every 3 months). You'll want to use purified water (bottled), as tap water almost always has too many impurites wich result in a tank full of algae. To keep corals, you may need to use additives, but with a quality salt mix you probably won't.

bethanie

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2007
Basically, I would do it like this:

1. Set up tank (Power filter, power head, 5-15 ilbs. of live rock and 0-20 ilbs. sand).

2. Fishless cycle tank (the marine newbie forum has a sticky on cylcing).

3. Add clownfish (do a search for "drip acclimation").

Done.

Also, if you invest in the proper lighting (wich isn't much of an investment, maybe $50 for a basic lighting system), and are willing to put the extra time for maintenance in, you could add corals as well. Invertebrates such as snails, crabs and shrimp can also be kept with little extra care.

Regular maintenance would include weekly water changes, weekly filter cleaning (just rinse the media in old tank water during water changes), weekly water testing (although after about 6 months of the tank being up, if water stays stable, you will only need to test every 3 months). You'll want to use purified water (bottled), as tap water almost always has too many impurites wich result in a tank full of algae. To keep corals, you may need to use additives, but with a quality salt mix you probably won't.

Thanks so much! That is really helpful!

As to the other post about college breaks, I hadn't even thought of that :(. *sigh* I guess I'm going to have to figure it out. Maybe I could have a tank set up both at school and at home (cycled perfectly), so when I come home, I can just transfer my fish?? I don't know if that would be too much stress on the poor thing though :(.

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
to be totally honest with you...

I went to college and the last thing you need is a saltwater tank to care for also...

I love my 90 gallon reef but I would not have loved it when I was in college...

College for guys is for 3 things in this order:
1 - Girls
2 - Drinking
3 - Some work when time calls for it

(leaves little room for taking care of a saltwarer tank)

Plus as being a college student in the past I know I was always strapped for cash. And saltwater tanks are not cheap remember...
:devil:

For girls it may be different I am not sure lol
Let us know what you decide though I’m interested...

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I am a full time college student and I take care of three tanks and all are salty not to mention the 150 I am setting up. Granted I live in my own house and am married but don't let the fact that you are a student scare you away from marine fish keeping, just be sure you have the time and money to take care of the animals you buy.

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
As a newbie to salt and this forum I must say thanks to Mikelush78 for the laugh. It reminded me of my priorities back in school - they were in that exact order!

To the above - I cycled with Damsels before reading these posts. Because of the hell I put them through I have kept them. I may even add a couple more.

What is the reason people don't like damsel's. Mine explore every inch of my tank and will almost eat out of my hand. Plus being new to salt the damsels are very cool compared to tetra's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store