Pink Eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
I went to my lfs to check out their new shipment and discovered these Pink Eels. They look exactly like what their name implies, bright pink. They people at the fish store didn't know anything about them, can you guys help me out?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What size are they? True eel shaped, or an eel shaped fish like zigzag eels?

Neither Google nor Fishbase have a pink eel. The closest they get would be the Pink Ling, that at over 3 feet in length is not an aquarium fish, or a variety of SW fish. If the critters in question were very small, I would suspect a kuhli of some sort--many juveniles of the solid variety are pink. If it's a really bright pink, I'd worry they were dyed.

gaul

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Just a guess

Just a guess here but it sounds like an albino of some kind, maybe an albino Khuli Loach? Are there faint hints of stripes?

Just a guess.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Were they segmented like earthworms? There are aquatic earthworms, but they are not a fish. If it's segmented, it is not a fish, nor an eel.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I know what they are talking about since I used to work at a lfs that got them in a while back. They were called Pink Paddletail Eels. We kept them in brackish water cause I do believe they are a brackish fish. They also require a pretty deep sand/aragonite bed to coop for their burial habits. You won't see much of them since they are always buried. Hope this helps and sorry I can't provide any more info like a sci. name.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store