Lumpy Fantail Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndyC

Registered Member
Feb 28, 2007
Hi,

one of my goldfish has developed lumps, one on each side just behind the gills. It also has starting doing a big white stringy poo, and it hangs gloomily around (the fish, not the poo) keeping away from the other fish until feeding time. But most of the time it mopes around with that sad look on its face.

I have pictures, but only of one side (silly fish just wouldn't turn around while my camera was pointing at it)(click the images for bigness)

As you can see it is doing a long white poo, which I have heard isn't good.
also you can see the white lump sticking out behind the gill. The lump on the other side isn't so sharp, its more like a lump inder the skin but this one has a white bit that looks strange like a bone or a tooth!.

Can anybody diagnose this for me and offer some advice?

many thanks.

AndyC

Registered Member
Feb 28, 2007
One day later, the swellings seem to have gone down a bit now, and the white 'tooth' has disappeared. I don't know whether it has dropped off or dug in, but the fish is still moping about, not happy.

Water tests indicate adequate pH, slightly alkaline, about 8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, but quite high levels of nitrate. I will do a partial change tonight.

kristen

AC Members
Dec 14, 2005
i had a similar looking few lumps on my ryukin which cleared with just 5 days of melafix, they sort of popped like a zit like your fish.that 'tooth' is pus. it never affected his tankmate and hasnt shown up again a month or so later. as for the poop, could be parasites. theres foods for that, so fear not. very pretty fish. whats your setup like and for how long?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store