Glass Anemone??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JON

Speed Reefer
Jan 9, 2003
SE Ohio
users.adelphia.net
I have these things that recentyl appeared on my live rock. They are slowly spreading. Someone finally identified them as glass anemones. I searched for them and it sounds like I do not want them in my tank. Should I get a Peppermint shrimp to control these guys or are they okay to have?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Glass anemone are the same thing as aiptasia, and they will spread. If this is in a reef tank, you'll want to remove them because of the threat they pose to your corals.

If you can find a peppermint shrimp, and it is compatible with the other members of the tank, they will take care of the small ones. If you have any large ones, you'll need to treat them with kalkwasser (create a soupy paste and inject it into the trunk), or boiling water. Do not try removing them manually--this will result in them spreading.

We have a few in our FO, and they've increased their numbers a bit, but nothing overwhelming. Since a shrimp is out of the question in this tank, we'll being using kalkwasser sometime in the next few weeks.

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Orion, will a FW or High salinity dip do any good with them?

I have them too, and I'm plannig on doing some corals in the future. I wasnt aware of the danger they cause, so this is deffinately good information for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store