If I were to start my first sw tank, 20 gallon, how many damsels could be put?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I may convert my 20g planted tank into a saltwater tank. In the beginning, to keep it simple, I would probably just have fish, and maybe live rock, if it's not too demanding. I was thinking along the lines of some damsels at first, because I hear they are hardy, look good, and of course, a lot cheaper than most sw fish, good to start with. I have an aquaclear filter, and heaterm so what would I need to start it? What would be a good light to have so later on if I wanted, I could move into liverock, or maybe now, and some easy to keep corals. Another question, how do you vaccuum the sand, because I would get sand, when doing water changes. Just can someone explain to me how to start a tank, or show a good site that tells me how.

Thanks!

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Just a bit of info.
IMO Live Rock is pretty much essential for a marine aquarium unless you wants heaps of equipment to replace it. Live Rock is the biological filtration, the aquaclear filter would then be the mechanical filtration and you'd probably need a powerhead for extra water movement.
For Live Rock you'll just need a standard fluorescent light, whatever you can afford, corals however (depending on type) need very strong lighting such as Metal Halides. Keeping corals needs a lot more research and equipment than keeping fish.
To start a saltwater 20g you will need (on top of your aquaclear, heater); powerhead, hydrometer, test kits, salt mix, lighting, plus live rock and substrate. Skimmers aren't really necessary on small tanks if your doing regular water changes.
Also although damsels are hardy and cheap they are known to be very aggressive and wouldn't IMO be a good fish for a small tank (unless one is kept on its own).

Marine tanks aren't demanding as such but they do require more work and more knowledge than freshwater. Do heaps of research, plan everything and go slowly if you decide to go salty.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Also keep in mind, if you ever want to take damsels out of your tank, you may end up having to taking out all your rocks and possibly draining out some water. They're really quick.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
yeah. Ok then, what would be some possibilities for fish in a 20? Not too expensive though, and hardy. I do love clownfish, and hear they are pretty hardy. To have an anemone, would it require a lot of lighting? If I would get a around 60 watt fixture, would the live rock do fine, and would it ooutcompete the algae? Would the liverock need any supplements?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
royal grammas are really col and stay small, six line wrasse, fairy wrasse, some dwarf angels, most smaller cardinalfish, and most gobies. as for the rock no u dont need to feed it and anemones shouldnt be kept in small tanks my 55 is pushing it they get huge and do best with metal halide lamps

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
Also keep in mind, if you ever want to take damsels out of your tank, you may end up having to taking out all your rocks and possibly draining out some water. They're really quick.
Don't get damsels to start with. Mine started picking on my other fish and biting at their tails. I had to take the live rock out to get them. As soon as I put the net in the water they were gone. Talk about a pain, spent 2 hours getting them out and putting everything back together.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Like Germanman said there are heaps of other inexpensive small hardy fish out there, I've got a Dwarf Hawkfish in my 20g ($16.50AUS) which is a hardy easy to care for species. A pair of Clownfish (A. percula or A. ocellaris) would be suitable and they don't need an anemone to thrive, but there are hardier species.

A 60w Light would be fine for the Live Rock, but not for an Anemone. They need heaps of light and care, and the recommendation is that you shouldn't put an anemone in a tank until it's been running for many months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store