A Real Good Clean!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ImAGMan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Hi, i always clean my tank weekly, however it seems i can never get it 100% clean to my liking, like especially towards the bottom as i dont want to disturb and or stress the fish out. However right now i have quite a bit of algae growth towards the bottom just above the gravel, i want to clean that off real good. What would u recommend, i dont have a spare tank where i can put the fish in.

Stock is
5 bloodfins
5 cards
2 albino corys

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
I use a magnetic cleaner. You can push small amounts of gravel out of the way with it, and get below the gravel line.

ImAGMan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
the magfloat works pretty well, and there are also algea scrapers that have the pad at one end witha handle so you can reach down inbetween the gravel and the glass.
I have algae scrappers it just looks let they get really stressed seeing that gigantic thing going in there.

ImAGMan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Would it be too much stress, risky, appropriate to move my fish into like a bucket? 5 gal while i do some cleaning? Max time in there would be like 20 mins? using water i first drain from the tank they are in?

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
Stress is what a small fish's daily life is all about in the wild. Face it - the bottom of the food chain isn't exactly a relaxing spot to hand out. Plus, the more you do it, the more accustomed they will become to weekly or semi-weekly scrapings.

donfenk

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
New Jersey
Dont worry about it - the fish will just swim to the opposite side of the tank - on in the case of my angel fish come and explore.

Putting the fish in a bucket is going to be alot more stressful then the tank cleaning.

ImAGMan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
This is NOT GOOD i did my clean and did a 50% water change, there is **** floating all over my tank (white debir all of my cardinals are floating upside down they are all still alive. One blood fin is thrown on his side still alive tho, none have passed but appear to be very soon. what the hell went wrong :| could the water have been too cold?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store