Down & Dirty Shopping Guide for Your First SW Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Great post and thread. Now I can link to something no here for the newcomers.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
nice thread. i'm looking at starting a FOWLR tank. i just want two common clownfish in a 20 gallon. can this be done? i read in many books that no less than 40 gallons for salt tanks as there is more room for water chemistry error. i've had fresh for years and done water testing and know the basics of how these things sorta work, so is a 20 doable?

i like the live sand idea, i want live rock from the start, i need a skimmer. my biggest confusing area is water/salt and lights.

what sort of lights do these two clowns need?

i see the mention of tap water being used here. is an RO unit imperative at the start for a couple clowns? what do these go for roughly?

i seen this salt mix "instant ocean". any thoughts on this? seems pretty simple. the more i read the more confused i get sometimes and the more questions i have.:confused:

so you see i'm starting saltwater simple. i wanna use the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) system to begin with. just the bare essentials:)

note: anyone who answers any of this can be assured there will be follow up questions! :lol:

ty:)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Two clowns would work in a 20g yes. Although it is easier to keep water stable in a larger tank there are many that successfully keep nano tanks. With your experience in FW there is a good chance you'd be one of them successful ones i'd think.

Fish don't have any special lighting needs. Anemones, clams and most corals do. Unless you add those you'll be fine with the most basic of lights.

I highly recommend RO/DI water. Some do use tap but at the very least before deciding to do that test your tap water for copper and phosphates so you'll know what you're starting with.

Instant Ocean salt is a good salt for a the FOWLER tank.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
One thing I would add that it seems a lot of sw newbies have to learn is patience. Nothing good happens quickly, it all takes time to develop correctly. If things are rushed, you end up causing more problems and it takes more time and money than it otherwise would if you take things slowly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store