Easy to care for, fast stockings for "smaller" tanks (5-29 gallons)-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mannamae

Sometimes I even amaze myself
Jul 14, 2008
holt, MI
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you for this post. It was the guideline I used to figure out what to stock in my 10g tank.
I was wondering though, my boyfriend made me buy three each of the filter media and told me that I would need to change all but the sponge (i have an aquaclear 30) monthly for the first three months. After doing a lot of research before i bought my fish i found that he is doing a lot of things incorrectly (for ex. two red tiger oscars in a 50g tank w/ three catfish) and was wondering if he is correct.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
One suggested change for the 10g section is to include a small school of panda cories: 4-6 should be fine, depending on stocking and filtration.

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
Hey i had a question about this tank stocking i based it off of one of the stocking listings for the 20 long does it work or no?

Here was what based it off of:

Stocking 2
1 angelfish- a cichlids from South America. Grows to be around 6 inches long, and generally peacful with other fish except when breeding. Will eat neons and other tiny fish.
8 larger tetras- cannot stress that enough. Neons will be eaten.
4 corydoras
1 snail

And here was my idea:

2 angel fish
4 pigmy Corys or 4 Otos
6 Platys
1 snail

Does this listing work or no, i figured it might work the same way, what do you think?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
2 angels in a 20 long would be a bit too much IMO

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Stocking 4 (10 gallon)
1 dwarf gourami
3 platies- all male or all female unless fry are wanted
4 pygmy corydoras- stay very small, getting to around ¾ of an inch to an inch long. great for small tanks, but needs yo be kept in groups of 4 or more.
1 snail
This is almost exactly my stocking in the first tank I ever had.

I had no cories, and because I didn't know better I put 2 chinese algae eatters in the tank. They cleaned it in half an hour and started trying to kill the other fish, so they had to go back.

Eventually my cleanup crew was 2 amano shrimp, 1 clown pleco, which seemed perfect.

Also cool about this setup is I had 1 male, and 2 female platties, and one day I noticed the gouami had a HUGE belly. Well he had been eating platty fry all day long, but I did manage to save 1 last fry, and raise him to adulthood! Took me about half an hour to track down that pair of eyes that I kept seeing swimming around. Eventually I figured out he was hiding under a rock, between the gravel.

I think I was hooked from then on.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
2 angels in a 20 long would be a bit too much IMO
I find that to be interesting as I stocked 2 angels in a 20 long for quite sometime with no issues including breeding. I also had housed them in a 20H at one point. I am curious as to your reasoning.

JM1212 said:
29 minimum for angels long-term. you can go smaller for grow-out, but a 20 long is too short.

see above

Please if you would esplain I would appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store