15 Gallon Rescape Thread (Pictures too)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
So I'm doing a semi-rescape of my 15 gallon low light tank. I'm going to be changing the substrate to ADA Aquasoil, and I'm going to try and grow some glosso. I figure, though, since I'm going to be taking the tank apart I might as well consider some different scaping options. So here is what it looks like right now (excuse my pos camera):

The plants are going to stay the same (i.e. mosses, anubias. adding the glosso obviously, probably either taking out the clover or relegating it to the back of the tank incase the glosso doesn't work out).

I'm looking for some alternate ideas in terms of hardscape placing. Obviously I can put it all back together as it's seen now but with a different substrate, but again I figure I could at least consider some more interesting options.

p.s. to anyone who is concerned about the angels in there, they're not permanent. my roommate had to move to Boston for the summer for an internship and he had nowhere to put them (couldn't leave his tank here in the apartment since he's not living here next year). They'll be out of the tank by July. :)

DiezelEinstein

AC Members
Aug 2, 2008
AZ
Looking good man! Cant wait to see it with aquasoil. Gonna have trim that moss anyway so might as well get some more wood and attach it.. MAke like a mossy haven with full glosso bottom and an anubias cluster maybe off to the rear left or right...maybe wrapped around a small stumpy piece of wood like a trees been chopped down lol!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
I was trying to think of something like that. Maybe instead of having that big piece in the middle put it off to the corner and drape the two skinnier pieces across the center. Then in whichever corner the big piece is not I'll put all of the anubias.

Not sure if that'll work / fit / look nice. I think I tried to do something like that the first time and it didn't work out well.

More suggestions?

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
I decided to try and play around with some configurations. The container I was using isn't as long as my tank, though, so I did it in pieces. The distance from the front to the back of the container is 12" like my tank though.

Here's what I was thinking:
Left side:

As I said, around the base of the piece of wood I'll put the anubias petites.

Right Side:

I'm not as big of a fan of the right side. Both of those pieces are rather awkward in terms of the shape. I can't get the big piece into the corner; that's that closest I could get it. As for the branchy piece, the angle between the two branches is giving me a lot of trouble. I can't position the top one where I like and still have the lower one far enough off of the substrate.

The piece looks like this:

I could break the two halves into two pieces, but that's a last resort (once it's broken it's broken :headshake2:).

Between the two sides there will be about 5" at the apex of the ^ and then of course it will fan out. I think both sides are about 4-5 inches from the front of the tank. Hopefully I'll actually be able to get a glosso carpet to fill in that space.

So yeah, suggestions? The right sides seems kid of plain but I don't know what to put in there.

p.s. yes Schultz Aquatic Soil sticks to EVERYTHING

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store