Pond construction, from dreams to reality!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Alright I have wanted a pond for awhile now. Someone gave me a little 165g preformed pond but I can't house the fish indoors during the winter & bigger is always better anyways! I do want to build a HUGE koi pond but I am going to get my feet wet first with a good sized goldfish pond, thinking between 500-1000g. So here is what I know so far....

-Goldfish only pond with plants
-At least 2ft deep to sustain the fish during NJ winters (told that would be enough by local pond installers, most likely will go 30")
-Waterfall!
-Top inside edge of pond lined with rocks (you know how the rocks are half submerged in the water...)
-No plant shelves! No rocks in the bottom of the pond! (everything I have read about these 2 things are bad, feel free to present arguments though I am open minded)
-Location!
Day 1 (Yesterday afternoon) Progression

LOTS of good worms in here that were thrown into the garden!

End of Day 1

I'll post day 2 pictures a little later (need to go to work soon) There was 2 electrical lines and a hose that needed to be moved and 2 toilet drain lines surrounding the area that need to be avoided. :yuck: Another note about the location, the ground level at the foundation needs to remain that height so I will need to build up around the pond and outwards a bit.

Things I have at my disposal.....
-Laguna 1400 pressure-flo filter with UV (rated for 1400g but not suitable for anything more than 600 in all reality & can't handle more then 900gph)
That's about it for that! :)

Things considering....
-Filtration. Skimmer box & laguna 1400 going to be enough??? Can I run the skimmer box line directly to the waterfall without further filtering?
-Might build a little sitting deck slightly overlapping the pond (hiding the skimmer box)
-The locations get nearly no sun this time of year but from my recollection it gets plenty during the warmer months, it that going to be a problem?
And I have a million other ideas running through my mind but we will get there in time! :)

My plan is to start digging it out as much as I can before it gets too cold & finish it in the Spring.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Yes looks good, please continue posting as I have very similar plans for spring.
I like the idea of it being outside the window and then on lazy days you could just through some food out the window.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
being in Jersey, I would go for 36" for the depth....and I wouldn't recommend the preformed. They crack pretty easily over the winter...

Looks like you have all your ducks in a row though, I am anxious to see everything next spring too!

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
That looks good. I agree with Dangerdoll that you should have 36". Can't wait to see it finished :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great start!

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
What's wrong with plant shelves? I have those. Some plants can't grow from 3-4 ft underwater can they?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks everyone for your support!

I have talked to 5 local pond installers and suppliers and they all said 24" would be more than enough to ensure a non-frozen section, if I was that concerned go to 30". Are you guys sure I need to go 36"? That extra ft (6" on both sides) will cause me to jump up to the 20' wide liner, at that point I may as well go for the koi pond. :)

The problem with plant shelves is that they create the perfect ledge for predators to stand on and pick out their meals. I would build plant stands out of pvc or something for those plants. Stands take up less water volume & give the fish something to hide under/swim through too.

Blah blah blah! Picture time!! End of Day 2

There are so many white rocks buried in the dirt (even through landscape fabric) and mixed into the red rocks, very time consuming. Probably will not get much done tomorrow because I have to work almost non stop from 7am-7pm but we will see. Sleepy time!

trashman

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Mount Wolf, PA
Thats super cool. Keep the pics coming! You could always break out the big guns and call in the mini hoe, terramite, or dingo!:D The excavation would be done by sunset tomorrow! Good luck with the project.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks! I am trying to be a true DIY girl and dig it by hand but I think I will end up calling in the big guns aka "Daddy & Brother"! :) And don't worry I take LOTS of pictures during projects!!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Having fought racoons in a pond, I would agree that plant shelves make excellent fishing piers for the little buggers. In my current pond I have no shelves, but I use black plastic milk crates as plant stands. They don't show up, and provide nice hiding places for the fish. They can be stacked for extra height, stood on end, or cut in half for plants that need to go deeper in water.

If you want that planted look, of plants growing along the edges and down into the water, you might consider a bog garden along one edge. It is almost a separate, shallow pond at the edge of the big pond, heavily planted, with the water just at soil level. Also makes for great filtration as all those plant roots filter out the nitrates for you.

Don't know if you have heron in your area, but a little extra depth will provide some protection from them as well as an additional safety in case of freezing.

Congrats on your project...addictive isn't it? Even before it has water and fish...:)
Jen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store