Pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Dear all Aquaria Centralists,
I found my camera in the main office today, WITH my jacket AND gloves! I feel so lucky right now.
Anyways, back on subject (somewhat) I took 2 pics of my turtle, I'll post them tomorrow, because I exited the app, and now I can't find it and I don't wanna reload again, lol.
Yeah, so back on subject again (for real this time) here are a couple pics of my new fish (I got them 4 days ago). The seller gave me 3, just in case "something goes wrong". Apparently she keeps aquarium salt in her tank water...even when her fish are healthy.
You can see the white stuff on my yellow female's anal fin, and a blob of white stuff on my melano/blue female's caudal. It is kind of cottony and filmy and it is like a mini halo. My melano/blue female has two white areas on her actual caudal, I just couldn't get her to sit still (same with the yellow one), they are zipping around like no tomorrow, probably out of stress. I think they might be holes (although they weren't there before). I looked closely at them today and I just found all this white stuff on them. Since they have arrived they have all been quarantined in different tanks and still are. It looks to me as if they have the same disease. As for the other female? She is fine, flaring a lot, eating a lot and being active, but the other two are showing stress stripes.
They are each in 2.5 gallon tanks, the temperature is 75-76 F, the pH is 7.2, the ammonia is 0.0, the nitrates are 0.0 and the nitrites are at 4ppm...I've given them one 50% water change so far (a couple of days ago), their tank water is conditioned + dechlorinated, etc., and that is all.
Oh yes, and their previous owner fed them flakes (I think she fed the yellow one flakes since birth, as it is the only food she will accept, whilst the others eat the frozen foods and even the pellets that I feed them). So I bought a variety of flake food: spirulina flakes, earthworm flakes, Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes, and she eats them all. I will try to wean her onto frozen foods and pellets when she settles in.
Can anybody help ID this disease?
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I would really, really appreciate it if you could reply.
I am stressed out right now with all my aquatic troubles going on. Luckily my terrapin seems to be doing better, but then this comes along. Anyways, I will stop my little rant and let you give me some feedback (if you have any), as most of my previous threads have not garnered much attention...with the exception of 2...
Thanks again,
Chris

uf1.JPG uf2.JPG yf1.JPG yf2.JPG

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
In the bottom pic, you can see the yellow female's right ventral fin slightly frayed and white. Sorry that this was the best I could do, they were darting around from stress.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
And yes, the melano/blue female's fins are nipped (the previous owner put all her female betta fish into community tanks) as you can see in the picture. This might be the reason why there is white stuff, but I do not understand how the yellow female could have gotten it. They were quarantined separately since I got them.
Feedback would really be appreciated.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Could it be an infection at the site where she got nipped? It looks a lot like columnaris or fungus to me.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
That's my guess as well (an infection where she got nipped), but the yellow one wasn't nipped at all and was in perfect condition when I got her, albeit a little stressed. They have been quarantined in different tanks since I got them, and I saw this just yesterday...

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Hello again, are there any symptoms of columnaris? And it does look like columnaris to me as well...what can I do to treat them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store