Newbie 10G Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luke109

AC Members
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
This will be one of my first 10G planted freshwater tanks. This tank has been setup for about 3-4 months. I am planning on buying fish when i come home from my vacation this month. I also Plan on buying either a Fluval C filter or a Ac filter. I also have a Diy Co2 generator

My livestock is:
Hornwort
moneywort
anuabis
some type of sword
duckweed
banana plant
And lots of snails!

Lukes 10G journal 001.JPG Lukes 10G journal 002.JPG Lukes 10G journal 003.JPG Lukes 10G journal 004.JPG Lukes 10G journal 005.JPG Lukes 10G journal 006.JPG

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Pretty tank and plants!

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I love your ten gallon. I got one on craigslist but it came with a really crappy hood with crappy lights. It's actually tough to find an affordable hood that will hold actual fluorescent bulbs. As far as dwarf puffers go, don't they need brackish water? Wouldn't salt kill plants?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Great tank! I wish hornwort stayed that nice in my tank... That I believe is a very healthy amazon sword! Honestly it'll keep growing & get too big for a 10g - you may want to consider trading it in for more plants or swapping it here no the AC marketplace.

Dwarf/pea puffers are freshwater, you may be able to do 2 in your 10g (preferably 1m/1f). I'd definitely add in more plants & branchy wood if you can find it.

My first real "grown up" tank was a 10g. I have to say micro fish are perfect for a 10g. Celestial Pearl Danios, Phoenix & Chili Rasboras are great because you can have shoal of 6-8 easily and still have room for dwarf cory catfish like habrosus or pygmaeus corydoras. I'd recommend 8 dwarf cories and 6-8 of one group of micro fish. They're not tight schoolers like tetras, but they're colorful and social shoaling fishes.

Another option is a male betta. Depending on temperament you could try some dwarf shrimp like red cherries or dwarf cories as mentioned above. Bettas are really curious fish that love to explore all over a tank - people think they're lazy fish but they really enjoy swimming!

Note: Corydoras, puffers & shrimp are especially sensitive to ammonia. As the tank's been set up for a few months I'm assuming your tank is fully cycled and you have done water tests to confirm same?

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
I second fishycat's post, great info she gives, as always.
Also, great tank, and great design. That amazon sword looks very healthy. I think I should do something like that with my quarantine tank :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store