brigs growth rate difference

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A month ago I got 3 pea sized brigs, thanks Jacob. Their growth rate is of concern, 1 is a little bit bigger, 1 maybe +50% + "Tubby" is at least 3 times bigger than on arrival. OK, the smallest was on the filter intake for a couple days but is this normal to have such a big difference in growth rate?

I have been feeding daily 1 pellet, either Ken's veggie stix or earthworm, broken into 2 pieces & occaisional veggies. Today the smallest was at 1 end so I threw both pellet halves very close to him so he'd have first dibs. Tubby was at the other end of a 20g long, high on the glass. 90 minutes later & Tubby is on a pellet & the smallest is up on the glass moving away from the food. Is this a snail aggression issue or what? Should I move Tubby to another tank & see if he's faster than RCS & let the smaller snails grow? Tubby sure is getting big & pretty magenta but...:nutkick:is this trouble?

kc1

AC Members
Nov 10, 2010
mine grow at different rates too but i have prob 50 or more. i wouldnt worry about it as long as everyone is eating

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
I understand that males are typically smaller...

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I have both genders & don't see a distinct difference in size. I had to giggle a bit at "snail aggression"... It could be food type preference. Try different veg or snello flavors to see if you get a better response from the smaller guys. They could just be slow to develop. One of my 3 was the smallest for awhile but now I believe they're all around the same. Of the 3 that came in at the same size, 1 is male & 2 are female. I tried to do the "upside down" trick to peek into their shell, but really it became obvious when my blue boy, Dax, began relentlessly mounting the other two. :rolleyes:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think Tubby may just be Speedy & since he's biggest just hogs the pellet/veg. The smaller 2 will share sometimes, maybe Tubby does a snail growl equivalent :hitting:

I don't really want baby snails or eggs so their sex doesn't much matter but it might be fun to see the difference between siphon & penis :naughty: I feel like a snail perv :perv: :evil_lol: but I didn't know all this stuff when we had 1 a couple times years ago :eek3: :eek:. At least with some fish, it seems the girls are more food oriented, the boys more into reproduction.

At what size do the males start the mounting behavior? Or females lay eggs?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Tubby's got the "antennae bullwhip" down to a science. *ker-whack* "Get off my green bean!"

Y'know, I have never seen Dax's "equipment"... but that tank is very full of plants, so I don't(can't) spend a lot of time watching the fish like I used to.

I think Dax started mounting my bigger female when he was about 3/4" in size. She was smaller than him, and really fought him off. Nowadays (they're all fully grown) she's become used to his attentions and doesn't really do much :perv:. I used to worry so much because of how extremely she'd contort herself trying to get away. :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Tubby's got the "antennae bullwhip" down to a science. *ker-whack* "Get off my green bean!"

Y'know, I have never seen Dax's "equipment"... but that tank is very full of plants, so I don't(can't) spend a lot of time watching the fish like I used to.

I think Dax started mounting my bigger female when he was about 3/4" in size. She was smaller than him, and really fought him off. Nowadays (they're all fully grown) she's become used to his attentions and doesn't really do much :perv:. I used to worry so much because of how extremely she'd contort herself trying to get away. :(
"antennae bullwhip" too funny, fishy! (I guess AC doesn't have that whipped emoticon I've seen) At least I won't feel dumb if I can't tell either, should I decide to look. It'll be 1 of life's mysteries :confused: haha, mystery snails :p: :duh:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store